Trent Grayling.

This forum is for discussing grayling.
Catfish.017
Eel

Trent Grayling.

Post by Catfish.017 »

Having discovered the whereabouts of some of these lovely fish I was fortunate to catch eleven this week, fish up to a pound and a half and all but one caught on the leger. Disturbingly all the leger caught fish were deep hooked? Double maggot on a fine wire 14, 18" tail and four inch paternoster link. The bites were all the same, an initial rattle then a good thump. Some careful disgorger work was OK for most but I had to cut the line on two of them. I tried striking on the rattle but missed those bites so eventually I moved on as I was unhappy about the deep hooking. These fish were caught over three days so it wasn't a case of a temporary quirk?

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Trent Grayling.

Post by Penninelad »

That is always a problem when fishing for grayling that's why I prefer flying fishing for them using barbless or debarred hooks.Net them and keep the net in the water and then take the hook out.Do not mess about taking photographs and holding the fin up.Join the Grayling Society which is a good source of advice and promotes fish
welfare.
Mark Davies

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That has always been a problem when ledgering for grayling. This when barbless hooks can really work for the fish.

Perhaps a shorter hooklink or a heavier lead/feeder or both - may prevent this?
Or reversing the hook for the lead - and the lead for the hook?

It is a shame if you cannot trot for them.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Yes I'm using barbless hooks but was still having difficulty with them. Bit better today using a vintage disgorger an Elwe metal slotted type. It seemed more effective with these wriggly customers!

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Sounds like a good week.I haven't netted a grayling since fishing the grove at Clifton Nottingham (1970's) .We had a run of them for a couple of seasons .

Enjoy your next outings -Hoping to be chasing chub tomorrow.

Nige.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Well done Catfish.I have to travel a fair way for Grayling,I usually go to Timsbury on the Test but haven't been there since covid.I really must go there next winter.
Re the deep hooking,I have never ledgered for them but I would guess shortening the hook length would do the trick.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Well done catfish, nice to hear you took care and precautions unhooking them, legering for grayling is not the best as they are delicate feeders, try trotting, fish slightly over depth so you can hold back and ease the bait down the swim

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Paul F wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:37 pm Well done catfish, nice to hear you took care and precautions unhooking them, legering for grayling is not the best as they are delicate feeders, try trotting, fish slightly over depth so you can hold back and ease the bait down the swim
I would prefer to trot for them but most of the swims I'm fishing are rather turbulent, uneven in depth and short in length. I offloaded all my fly fishing gear when I moved here from Wales, not envisaging it having much use. When the boot fairs start up again I will look out some replacements in readiness for next season as I would enjoy nymph fishing for them.

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”