Maurice Ingham Net

Traditional landing nets large and small.
AquasilkPerfection
Minnow

Maurice Ingham Net

Post by AquasilkPerfection »

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I have owned this net for some time now and despite a fruitless search and questions asked i appear to be no closer to revealing the identity of the manufacturers.
I have a suspicion that it may have been a project by the pairing of Coxon and Waterman though i have also been unable to substantiate this.
It is a very well made and indeed quite substantial frame and any information offered would be most appreciated.

I wait in anticipation,

Graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Maurice Ingham Net

Post by Olly »

Were the 2 about in the 1950s? That appears to be the date on the net.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have a net by Coxon & Waterman No.3 (2) bearing the name M. Ingham but whether that is Maurice Ingham's actual hand I would not know.

In the book 'Drop Me a Line by Ingham & Walker which was first published in 1953 Maurice Ingham discusses proposals for making a Carp landing net. I don't know which years the letters were written other than the early 1950s but I am sure someone on here will know.

Does anyone also know the date of the formation of the Carp Catchers Club? I thought it was a little later than 1950.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

From what I understand Coxon and Waterman commissioned these nets back in the 80’s the only net personally signed by Maurice Ingham was number 1, all of the others were transfers of his signature like the B James rods with the Walker signature….
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

AquasilkPerfection
Minnow

Post by AquasilkPerfection »

Thank you Pershoreharrier for the photographs of your C&W net, i would assume that if your style of net was made in quantity (albeit probably very few) they would all follow the same design as templates would have to me made for the bending process.
If my net is also a C&W net perhaps it was constructed as a one-off, perhaps at a special request from a buyer?
I have read that BB had the idea of sharing the accumulated knowledge with other like minded souls in 1951 and therefore further reading suggests that the Carp Catchers Club was operating by 1952.

In your reply RB you say that these nets may have been commissioned in the 1980's, are these the same nets as the one shown in PH's photographs?

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Hi AP your net is certainly different from the C&W net shared by PH and indeed may have greater provenance….
My best mate owns number one of the C&W 80’s built nets which is signed by Ingham.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Cracking net... very nice indeed.
Nice to know traditional nets were still made in the 80s ( I know some of our artisan TFF members still re create/ make them now true craftsmanship.
An traditional net and handle is on my bucket list for a later date.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”