G & Y Seajecta lll De Luxe - Servicing.

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Waynee45
Ruffe

G & Y Seajecta lll De Luxe - Servicing.

Post by Waynee45 »

Hi all, have picked up a couple of these reels for piking. Can I use the same grease (Penn precision reel grease) on these as I’ve used on my Mitchell 410A’s. I’m a complete novice and have found YouTube a help but I’m not that good with computers or with forums.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: G & Y Seajecta lll De Luxe - Servicing.

Post by Harry H »

Hi Waynee45 :welcome: to the forum :Hat:
I'm by no means an expert in these matters but I'm sure that grease will be fine, seajecta reels are built like tanks and will withstand any amount of heavy duty use.
:Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Waynee45
Ruffe

Post by Waynee45 »

Thank you Harry for the reply.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Hi W45,

As you say you are a novice, could I ask where you intend putting the grease in the reel? I’m a huge fan if G&Y centrepins and, like Harry, I suspect they’re verge on indestructible but the only place I would even consider putting grease is in the ratchet pawl. I’m also a user of the Daiwa grease.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Waynee45
Ruffe

Post by Waynee45 »

Duckett wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:29 pm Hi W45,

As you say you are a novice, could I ask where you intend putting the grease in the reel? I’m a huge fan if G&Y centrepins and, like Harry, I suspect they’re verge on indestructible but the only place I would even consider putting grease is in the ratchet pawl. I’m also a user of the Daiwa grease.

Phil
Hi Phil,
I was intending to use the grease on the ratchet and cogs(probably not the right word) I could see after lifting the spool off.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Waynee45 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:15 am

Phil
Hi Phil,
I was intending to use the grease on the ratchet and cogs(probably not the right word) I could see after lifting the spool off.
The only thing would suggest is that you use a drop of oil for that, as on the ‘pin. It’s really all that’s needed. Also, whilst G&Y centrepins are built like tanks, I don’t think the engineering tolerances are as good as say Allcocks, Youngs, Hardy etc. Grit is slightly more likely under the spool in my experience and it’s far easier to remove from an oiled reel than a greased one.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Waynee45
Ruffe

Post by Waynee45 »

Duckett wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:31 pm
Waynee45 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:15 am

Phil
Hi Phil,
The only thing would suggest is that you use a drop of oil for that, as on the ‘pin. It’s really all that’s needed. Also, whilst G&Y centrepins are built like tanks, I don’t think the engineering tolerances are as good as say Allcocks, Youngs, Hardy etc. Grit is slightly more likely under the spool in my experience and it’s far easier to remove from an oiled reel than a greased one.

Phil
Thank you for the extra info Phil.

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”