Sowerbutts spinning rod?

The Sowerbutts Rods forum.
Markb999
Stickleback

Sowerbutts spinning rod?

Post by Markb999 »

Hi all
I have just acquired a rather odd Sowerbutts rod which looks like an old spinning rod but can see no reference to it anywhere on the web and suggestions as the reel position is sligtly odd right in the middle of the handle. Any ideas of use or age
ImageImageImage

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Sowerbutts spinning rod?

Post by Liphook »

It was RF. What's slightly unusual is the double ended screw winch fitting. Looks a bit short on rings to my eye but again that's not unusual for back in that era. Looks to have quite a fine taper towards the tip? What's the action like Mark?

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Liphook wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:20 pm It was RF. What's slightly unusual is the double ended screw winch fitting. Looks a bit short on rings to my eye but again that's not unusual for back in that era. Looks to have quite a fine taper towards the tip? What's the action like Mark?
My Marco Capella spinning rod has the same double ended reel fitting.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Slightly unusual usual but not rare Catfish :Hat: The then Swedish tackle company Loop 'reintroduced' them on double handed fly rods with the idea being you could move the reel up or down the blank to adjust the ballance.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Catfish.017 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:31 pm
Liphook wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:20 pm It was RF. What's slightly unusual is the double ended screw winch fitting. Looks a bit short on rings to my eye but again that's not unusual for back in that era. Looks to have quite a fine taper towards the tip? What's the action like Mark?
My Marco Capella spinning rod has the same double ended reel fitting.
I had a Dawsons Challenger with the same fitting.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Markb999
Stickleback

Post by Markb999 »

Reasonable at about 1 3/4

Return to “T. H. Sowerbutts & Sons Cane Rods”