The Manufacture of Fishing Tackle: The Redditch Houses (1891)

The history & development of fishing tackle part of the forum.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: The Manufacture of Fishing Tackle: The Redditch Houses (1891)

Post by Barbelseeker »

Mr Rod Fisher, (Sorry I do not know your first name),

Quite an interesting article you posted with some interesting tit-bits for me, especially concerning the Nottingham Piscatorial Society which was formed in 1891 - the same date as your publication.

When Horace Waterfall (Secretary 1958 - 1980) and I (secretary 1985 - 2000) were researching material that I placed a a book I was writing at the time I stated this about the Society:

"The Society at inception may not have been called the "Nottingham Piscatorial Society" but may possibly have been "The Shoulder of Mutton Angling Club" perhaps where the Society where based. This deduction, possibly wrongly, is drawn from the only documentation up to 1900. This consists of a lease dated 13th August 1897, showing an agreement between this party and "John Henry Manners Sutton and Eustace Hepburn Barlow Esquires" for Angling in Averham, Staythorpe and Rolleston waters, and which we still fish."

Your publication shows that:

Fishing the Newark Waters, was a Mr G Beales, a Vice-president of this Society, and one of the more prolific anglers of his times,who managed the following successes during his fishing career:
- 32 wins with Nottingham Waltonians, 8 Championship wins and 5 Cup wins (achieving multi successes to retain the cups);
- 26 wins with Nottingham Piscatorial society wins;
- 6 wins with West Bridgford;
- 37 wins with Nottingham Anglers 2 cup wins outright, Clark Gold Medal * 4, Bentinck Shield *3, Runner up *6;
- 12 wins with Nottingham Federation and
- 4 wins Nottingham Anglers Association Comforts

I have to say weights in those days, mostly fished over 3 hours, where the weight of a small barbel - average about 2.5lb with his best from the above being 7lb 2oz 15drams, caught on July 14th 1940 at Stoke Ferry.

Thank you for posting it - I look forward to seeing similar,
Peter

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Good information RF :Thumb: I've wondered about the origins of the Bartleet salmon hook and where that name came from :Hat:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thank you – Part 5 – is a fascinating read.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “The History & Development of Fishing Tackle”