Permit question

This forum belongs to the Ashby Canal.
Homer Simpson
Grayling

Permit question

Post by Homer Simpson »

A friend owns a boatyard on the canal. Apparently the Ashby canal in this area is on a wanderer ticket. Do I need one if I am fishing from private property?
Not sure if riparian rights extend to canals. I don’t intend to go more than twice a year but like to be honest.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Permit question

Post by Santiago »

If your friend owns the boatyard chances are he also owns the riparian rights for that part of the canal, especially since its private property. And its extremely unlikely that the wanderer permit allows for fishing in the boatyard. So you should be able to fish there without any permit.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I can't answer your permit question Homer but the boaters love the Ashby Canal as it does not have a lock its 22 mile or so length. I use to fish it years ago in matches. There were some lovely roach in there, good quality roach, my best being 1lb 14oz. I also remember catching some nice tench and perch in there. In the early 90's they electrocuted three miles of it which a friend and I followed on the tow path around Shackerstone, they took out 900lb of zander in the three miles. It is deeper nearer the Snarestone end, the Hinckley end use to be very shallow. Its also nice to fish in the winter after the Pike and Zander.

Here's Billy Makin fishing the Ashby Canal near the Burton Hastings end.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Thanks chaps,

I may get over that way in April then.
I will take a spare catapult and some pellets and train my friend in the art of baiting up :whistle:

Return to “Ashby Canal”