Rod recycling.

The history & development of fishing tackle part of the forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Rod recycling.

Post by Mr B »

I had an interesting chat with an old pal of mine who is "Very Green" as in carbon footprint etc etc.
We got onto the subject of nylon fishing line, Bakelite Carbon fibre etc,
cutting it short I told him I prefer wooden rods made of bamboo, split cane, but do have quit quite a few in Fibreglass and a couple of ( Black ones)
He was very surprised that me being a traditional angler would use rods and reels that cannot be recycled ( carbon and glass fibre, I didn't know that!)
It made me think.
Over the years I am always at peace using my cane rods and old reels...
i have been fishing with nylon line all my life so that didn't come into the equation, but should it? ( I'm ok with that)
Cutting it short... how do we depose of our plastic rods... land fill?
I did tell him that when a finger is pointed... three fingers are pointed back. He was comfortable with that.
With the Development of fishing tackle I wonder if this is something that has been thought about?
Rod recycling?

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

JAA
Crucian Carp

Re: Rod recycling.

Post by JAA »

Mr B wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:16 pm I had an interesting chat with an old pal of mine who is "Very Green" as in carbon footprint etc etc.
We got onto the subject of nylon fishing line, Bakelite Carbon fibre etc,
cutting it short I told him I prefer wooden rods made of bamboo, split cane, but do have quit quite a few in Fibreglass and a couple of ( Black ones)
He was very surprised that me being a traditional angler would use rods and reels that cannot be recycled ( carbon and glass fibre, I didn't know that!)
It made me think.
Over the years I am always at peace using my cane rods and old reels...
i have been fishing with nylon line all my life so that didn't come into the equation, but should it? ( I'm ok with that)
Cutting it short... how do we depose of our plastic rods... land fill?
I did tell him that when a finger is pointed... three fingers are pointed back. He was comfortable with that.
With the Development of fishing tackle I wonder if this is something that has been thought about?
Rod recycling?

Mr B
The carbon fibre in planes and wind turbine blades might be far more of an issue as there's a lot more of it! Lot of fibre-glass boats out there as well. I should think fishing rods are the least of our recycling worries.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Surely, compared to the amount of non-recyclable packaging one consumes in a lifetime, a carbon rod or two is negligible?

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Maybe Carbon fibre and Glass Fibre aren't currently recycled.
That doesn't mean that at some point in the future, these materials won't be recycled.
Unless there are some insurmountable technical difficulties it is probably just a matter of cost........
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Drop the unwanted glass and carbon rods off at your local allotments. They love them in our allotments for holding up flowers, saplings and beans. Reusable time and again.
I have a couple of middle and tip sections fastened to the fence with bird feeders hanging from them. Great to watch them bouncing up and down as the birds feed.

Wal.

David
Dace

Post by David »

I have only just come upon this forum subject. It has made me too wonder what becomes of the waste product from all the broken and discarded modern fishing tackle. Perhaps if anyone has knowledge of what the Racing Car people i.e. Formula One etc, do with their cars. They seem to change their designs and crashed cars every year, and these are mostly made from the black stuff. They must get rid of them somewhere. Perhaps if they reuse their waste in an ethical way, then the modern fishing tackle could go the same way.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

If you have a couple lf hours this may be of interest..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... %20process.

Basically it says that about 90% of the black stuff can be recycled……

BUT….

It is a very costly process with some nasty emissions etc resulting . So maybe we should not be so complacent about the numbers of dark material rods being chucked away because they do not have the right logo, or brand, or are not the latest thing marketed by companies that are more interested in profit .

As an aside, I would also say that a number , no idea how many perfectly useable, and serviceable bamboo rods are stripped down and parts used,and other parts consigned to the garden because they do not have the “name”, or glowing accolades from those who would not be seen using an un named rod. Oh the shame of it ! :Chuckle: However it is obviously far more “ green” to dispose of a bio degradeable rod than a lump of CF.

We know it happens I am sure.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

David
Dace

Post by David »

At least when the big ole hammer falls on to me, my now 29 split cane rods can take the last journey with me. Only the ferrules and guides will remain to keep that old horned fella happy

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

David wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:08 pm At least when the big ole hammer falls on to me, my now 29 split cane rods can take the last journey with me. Only the ferrules and guides will remain to keep that old horned fella happy
Why not have them made into a diamond for the missus!?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

David makes a good point about the “shame factor” involving no name canes…that does make me laugh… I must be truly ashamed as I have a few which are of unknown parentage….but my lord they are each and every one of them wonderful rods, what’s in a name?
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “The History & Development of Fishing Tackle”