The ideal lift float

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: The ideal lift float

Post by Dave Burr »

Little bits of quill and a single shot are all very well for fishing close in with little undertow but, it is possible to fish farther out with any float albeit preferably with an antenna or waggler. You can lock a float with a couple of Swan shot or more just as long as the float still has 2, 3 or 4 inches on show, this can be then shotted down to your desired length (eyesight plays a part here), and away you go. A rise of one inch is quite visible from 25 or 30 yards and two or three inches is very apparent. It's all a question of balance just like all float fishing

As for the sunken float method, it's all very well but when John Hofgartner is doing it he usually has the float clear in his vision and almost touching the rod top.

My advice is to keep it simple, don't fight the conditions with floats that are too light.

Duckett
Tench

Re: The ideal lift float

Post by Duckett »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:48 pm Little bits of quill and a single shot are all very well for fishing close in with little undertow but, it is possible to fish farther out with any float albeit preferably with an antenna or waggler. You can lock a float with a couple of Swan shot or more just as long as the float still has 2, 3 or 4 inches on show, this can be then shotted down to your desired length (eyesight plays a part here), and away you go. A rise of one inch is quite visible from 25 or 30 yards and two or three inches is very apparent. It's all a question of balance just like all float fishing

As for the sunken float method, it's all very well but when John Hofgartner is doing it he usually has the float clear in his vision and almost touching the rod top.

My advice is to keep it simple, don't fight the conditions with floats that are too light.
I may have to get that final sentence tattooed on my right had Dave. Wise words that I am sometimes guilty of forgetting!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”