A lucky week, an early and unrestored MKIV Carp

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
GreenFrogs1
Stickleback

A lucky week, an early and unrestored MKIV Carp

Post by GreenFrogs1 »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I recently went to buy some fishing tackle. I knew that the seller also had a MKIV Carp advertised for a LOT of money. I have got quite used to people asking silly money for these rods, usually they are overpriced and not that exciting. I'm glad I asked to view the rod, I was interested to see what the seller thought justified his asking price. I could see instantly why the rod was priced as it was. From what I can see, this Is an early MKIV, with the Ealing label. Also with the spigot on the ferrule. From what I can make out, this rod is entirely unrestored. How it survived in this condition since 1954 is quite hard to believe, the only damage being a nibble from the cork handle. The quality of the tight whipping at the end of the rod, is very special indeed. I have only estimated but there are close to 250 inters, give or take 1 or 2. This rod cost me a lot of money but was worth every penny and I think it is a very lucky purchase regardless of price. It seems very likely that this rod is built on a Southwell blank. It has a lovely dark colour to it and feels great in the hand.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: A lucky week, an early and unrestored MKIV Carp

Post by Paul F »

Well found, it's worth what you were prepared to pay, and if you are happy, that makes it worth it.

When do you plan to christen it?

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

A lovely rod. Even from the photos one can see it is an early slim blank. First time I've seen an original clear tip ring too. You can now spend the rest of your days finding an Avon to match!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Looks a real beauty GF1 :Hat:

GreenFrogs1
Stickleback

Post by GreenFrogs1 »

Don't joke about the Avon but it must be out there somewhere. I find the hunt for things is almost as much fun as fishing with them. I recently turned up an Efgeeco rod pod, the early MK1 version, something I have been hunting for, for at least a year. I think I'm destined to be on the Hoarder Next Door because for all the great finds, there's the junk that goes with it.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”