Never have I ever, caught a chub on cheese…

This forum is for discussing chub.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Never have I ever, caught a chub on cheese…

Post by Tengisgol »

At least I don’t think I have and, either way, I probably need to put this right and try it more often. I reckon that 95%+ of my chub have been caught on bread, maggots, worms and slugs (in that order). Oh, and meat of course, in there somewhere.

So, if I am going to try and catch a chub on cheese, what recipe should I choose, how should I store it, and how should I fish it (how long a hook Link, for example)? What conditions am I looking for, and what rig should I use?

Thanks in anticipation chaps.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Never have I ever, caught a chub on cheese…

Post by Dave Burr »

If you use cheddar in the winter it will go hard and prevent the hook from pulling through it on the strike, this is why so many wonderful and exotic pastes were invented. However, if you wrap the bait around either a small boilie or bead on a hair, job done. Strong cheese is often recommended but chub will find anything edible, you just need the confidence to use it.

I would advise a 10-14' hooklink, size 8 hook (if on a hair, bigger otherwise), and expect bites fairly quickly in freshly baited spots. The colder it gets the smaller the indications may be so, touch legering is best even on the coldest day.

Cheese or cheesepaste will catch in any conditions Phil, you may try smaller baits in freezing conditions but sometimes, a single donkey-choker may entice a fish to decide it's worth having a single large meal rather than chasing around after snacks.

Ready made pastry from the super market, mixed 50/50 with grated cheese is a good paste and can be refrozen and added to umpteen times through the winter. Add a smaller amount of blue cheese, Mexican cheese, garlic paste or commercial bait flavouring to create something different, the choice is limitless and they all seem to work, I've also had roach, barbel, eels, trout and pike on cheesepaste.

Walk a section and bait lightly with pea-sized freebies in several swims, follow up with your bait and a couple of free ones or use a pva stringer.

Enjoy

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Cheese is one of the best and deadliest baits for Chub in my opinion, I have caught many many Chub over the years on this bait. I normaly use Danish Blue cheese or sometimes a good Stilton. Chub find cheese very hard to refuse, ,I buy a big wedge and mould it up with a little flour and fish a good size lump on a wide gape hook with a sliding shot link which is set about a foot away from the hook. I have cheese in the freezer that is about 4 years old which is re frozen aften each session, adding with fresh cheese when it gets low. I do not use a float rather just to watch the rod tip. takes can be very savage with many just slaming the rod around. hope this helps in some way
best
micky :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think both the above would help someone to catch chub using cheese. I used to use small cubes to catch roach on the Tidal Thames long before trying anywhere for chub! September seemed the month best for roach.

I will only add that I now crumble up the cheese that I am using unto a paste, but add some food oil - olive oil - walnut oil - peanut oil - etc.
This does two things, give off a wafting cheesy smell going downstream and make the cheese softer to pull the hook through. I use a cloth to do this, it always can be frozen, added to, flavour added, etc.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Excellent advice above :Hat: I can only add that pepperoni meat can be ground and added to both give a lighter mass of bait with some added fat and oils.The addition of spice, I'm sure, helps trigger fish into mouthing a bait. You cant catch them if they just sit there and look at it. Martin James gave me some excellent frozen baits in cricketball sizes. With about a walnut sized chunk of each ball of the sausage meat and cheese paste baits I added a dusting of Spanish 'pimenton' (smoked paprika with cayenne pepper I believe?) and worked it in before re freezing. These have proved to be deadly change hookbaits for chub, carp, crucians and other species :Hat:

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Well matured Danish blue with bread crumb, if you want a sample Phil send me an e-mail.

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I can only re-iterate what has been stated above. A great chub bait but must remain soft in cold weather. I used to have a problem with eels taking my cheese baits when fishing for chub on the Yorkshire Derwent and I did catch one of 2lb 10oz. I mostly use cheddar but they seem to like any type.

The secret with all chub baits, as you probably know, is to introduce some samples and leave the chub to find them and start taking them before introducing a hook into the swim. They soon get on to cheese even if they have not seen it before.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Regarding keeping the cheese bait soft in winter. When I was a youngster, a family friend used pieces of Edam or Gouda in the winter. I’ve tried it with some success - my Mum loved it for summer Roach fishing. I now know of more pungent French cheeses with a medium and flexible texture and have tried them in the winter with some success. My only note of caution is that my Chub fishing skills are very modest!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

As I said earlier, a short hair with a bead on it which you wrap your cheese around negates the issue of pulling your hook through the bait. If you are completely anti hair then maybe try one of these,

https://enterprisetackle.co.uk/product/ ... e-standard

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have caught chub on hooklengths from 2in to 30in - - it can be maddening when they are wary and not even peckish rather than greedy/ravenous.

I use a cork ball - as used for popup boilies - on the hair or hook to give the bait some buoyancy. The corks balls are from about 4mm upwards. With the hair there is no bait on the hook.

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”