The Mitchell Century...A Reel Revolution by George Saul UK Batch now sold out!

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Nobby
Wild Carp

The Mitchell Century...A Reel Revolution by George Saul UK Batch now sold out!

Post by Nobby »

George's book will be available soon, posted from within the UK for £49:50 plus £3:50 post and packing.

George is by his own definition, a 'numbers man'. He doesn't speculate, he waits until he has all the evidence needed before making a declaration that something is a fact. The book is well written and easy to follow.

He has amassed a vast collection of Mitchell 300 based reels and many images in the book are from these. The images are splendid and numerous. In fact they are so 'high def' that I couldn't lift an image and post it here, the file size being too large even for this generous site.

So what I did was lift an image, resize it by pixel total and half that to a smaller file size. Consequently, what you see below is but a poor copy of the real thing.

The book was written with the full assistance of many well known collectors and one old fool:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nobby on Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Keston
Tench

Re: The Mitchell Century...A Reel Revolution by George Saul

Post by Keston »

Nobby wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:26 pm George's book will be available soon, posted from within the UK for £49:50 plus £3:50 post and packing.

After a lightning strike I have very dodgy internet access so will add to this post as I can....I've wasted three hours trying already!

George is by his own definition, a 'numbers man'. He doesn't speculate, he waits until he has all the evidence needed before making a declaration that something is a fact. The book is well written and easy to follow. The images are splendid and numerous.

He has amassed a vast collection of Mitchell 300 based reels and many images in the book are from these.
That's a very reasonable price in comparison to many Mitchell books Nobby .
I look forward to hearing more .

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

If the US postal system does its job George's book will be here in time for Christmas and the UK release will actually be before the US release as George has gone fishing after sending them to the UK for onward posting.
:-)

As soon as I know anything I will post on here.

If those in the UK sell out, there will be a further delivery in the New Year, but as things stand we will get them in time for Christmas presents when others will not.

I think that once word gets around these will be in high demand once the quality is seen, so the second delivery can be adjusted to meet that demand if needed.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

What does he have to say about the origins of the name? In particular the court case which stopped them calling it Michel?
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Stathamender wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:25 pm What does he have to say about the origins of the name? In particular the court case which stopped them calling it Michel?
I've never heard of any such Court case, but there was a law about 'daft' names in France until recently.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: The Mitchell Century...A Reel Revolution by George Saul UK Batch now sold out!

Post by Nobby »

Just to inform everyone, the UK batch of books has already sold out only four days after arriving.

You can still buy books from the US, but the postage is formidable, or wait until January when the author will be bringing some more to the UK at the previously mentioned cost.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Nobby wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:21 pm
Stathamender wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:25 pm What does he have to say about the origins of the name? In particular the court case which stopped them calling it Michel?
I've never heard of any such Court case, but there was a law about 'daft' names in France until recently.
Supposedly they originally wanted to call the make 'Michel', after the owner's son, but, so goes the legend, they were blocked by the court because you weren't allowed to use proper names as trademarks. I'm surprised you haven't heard of this. If there was such a court case then the bar against calling the brand 'Michel' was far more likely to be because there already was, and I think still is, a major tackle manufacturer called Michel.

I think the law against daft names is about registering children's first names. Until relatively recently I think French law said they had to be saints' names but obviously they had to relax this. But the French equivalent of registry offices can and do refuse to accept 'unusual' names. You are extremely unlikely to meet French people called Brooklyn, Chelsea, Ocean, River or even, sad to say, Elvis although people are often registered under an accepted name but spend their lives with another preferred name.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: The Mitchell Century...A Reel Revolution by George Saul UK Batch now sold out!

Post by Nobby »

Ah, now I had heard the owner's son thing and even that he was killed in WW2, but not that there had been a court case.

George's book is more about the reels, always illustrated, than the firm and its people.

Might you be thinking of Pezon et Michel? Perhaps this translation could be better:

https://splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/up ... -Story.pdf

I had no idea of the Ritz or Millward connections.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”