When were these made?

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

When were these made?

Post by Martin(rockape) »

Can anyone tell me when the Chapmans 500 rods were made please?

I have one and its pure joy to use.

Regards

Martin

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Re: When were these made?

Thank you Rod, any idea roughly when they were stopped being made?

Regards

Martin

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Chapman Rods from 1950-2012
Chapman rods from 1950.
2 Piece Bottom Rods.
The “Chapman 500” 10′ 2 piece Avon style rod 1960.
The “Chapman 550 ” 10′ 3 piece Carp rod 1960 -1970
The “Chapman Dennis Pye 700 10′ 3 piece Pike Rod 1960 – 1970
The “Peter Stone 600 ” 10′ 3 piece Ledger rod 1965 1970
The MkIV Avon or light Carp rod 1 lbs T.C.
The MkIV Carp rod 1-1/2 lbs T.C.
The “Peter Stone Ledgerstrike 10′ 2 piece Ledger rod

3 Piece Bottom Rods
The “Stort” 10′ 3 piece bottom rod
The Shelford” 11′ 3 piece bottom rod
The ” Amwell” 11′ 3 piece bottom rod 1950
The ” Amwell SP ” 11′ 3 piece bottom rod 1960
The F.J.Taylor Roach rod 12′-6″ 3 piece.
The “Hunter” 12′ 3 piece Bottom rod 1955
The “Hunter” 14′ 3 piece Bottom rod 1955

2 Piece Fly Rods
The “Chess” 8′ 6″ 2 piece fly rod
The “Chess” 9′ 2 piece fly rod

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Thank you Olly. Still no idea when the 500 may have ceased being made but going on the information that Rob provided in a link for my particular rod, it just might be an early rod as it doesn't have a plastic butt cap.

I've just had mine fitted with new rod rings and a revarnish by Dawsons Fishing Tackle in Hillsborough Sheffield and have to say tgat I'm chuffed to bits.

Originally i was going to do the job myself and was merely going to ask them for advice and possibly buy the bits and pieces from them but asking for a quote for them to do the job for me i thought £35 a good deal. Ive had modern rings fitted to mine based on the fact not only as a personal preference but because i will be using this rod most of the time. Its an absolute joy to use and thats with a centrepin too.

Regards

Martin

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a couple of 500s rejuvenated and converted to DL with agate butt/tips - plus the extra ring. They are lovely rods for fish to about 5/6lb - I then swap to the 550s for bigger fish. It is not that the 500 could not cope with larger fish - I just don't want a set of any sort in them!

The only way to find out exactly when they stopped making is probably give them a ring! :Hat:

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

The biggest Carp so far on the 500 is a Common Carp for 17Lb 10 ounces.

Regards

Martin

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Rod Fisher wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:52 pm From 1960, their website suggests.
indeed it does .

it's just that being an old sceptic i don't think that's right .

bearing in mind the success of the RW/James Avon which was really starting to bite by 1854 , would Chapmans have ignored the potential of having a 10ft Avon in the offering ? i don't believe they would and i think they may well have started C1954.

the 1960 rods do indeed have a plastic cap. - it's cheap and Chapmans' liked cheap . but there are plenty of rods with a trumpet at both ends of the handle -------or was the plastic cap only fitted to the deLuxe ........or were they fitted when available ? .

i will have to ask John next time we speak , but it's an odd thing that my (earlier?) rod is a very different beast to my pal's 1960s rod - much crisper - and it came with copper wraps like the early550 - the only one i have seen so fitted

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

1854? These workman grade rods - often lacking proper guide placement - appear to have greater market value than the reality of their substance in my own opinion. Hence selling all of mine on at a considerable profit! For me the Chapman fly rods in certain guises and the 550 and 600 are far better fishing rods :Hat:

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Liphook wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:31 am 1854? These workman grade rods - often lacking proper guide placement - appear to have greater market value than the reality of their substance in my own opinion. Hence selling all of mine on at a considerable profit! For me the Chapman fly rods in certain guises and the 550 and 600 are far better fishing rods :Hat:

you are right . the 500 is very much a budget rod , short on guides ( even the deLuxe , )---- but the cane is good and they are about the best swingtip rod you can buy.

the 500s i refurb get 7 inter rings plus a screw tip . the tip getting 5 of them , with the intention of getting a bit more work from the top of the rod . --and it works , giving a sweet action with the power feeding in lower down the blank. .....but the 500 is a rubbish rod for float fishing (in my opinion) I wouldn't even call it an Avon . , it is a 10ft bottom rod . ......... i wouldn't part with mine.

yep . i buy them , i rebuild them , and i get a good return for my efforts ' cos every 500 is a great rod in disguise

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I agree Gilbert, properly rung the 500s make a decent leger rod. There's no questioning the general quality of Chapman cane, I just believe they made far better rods than the 500, but as always opinions will differ :Hat:

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”