Earliest Ambidex nuts

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: Earliest Ambidex nuts

Post by Watermole+ »

[/quote]

Hi WM+
Fair comment re the nuts not working loose. it was conjecture on my part , I had no experience at all of Ambidex reels back in the day and wouldn't know how well they functioned back then and little nowadays either .
I appreciate your gentle challenges over all things mechanical .
Best wishes
John
[/quote]

Apologies for the sniffy 'challenge' remark John. It was certainly not intended that way. :Hat:

I meant that, it you need a nut or three making up to put right a mis-match, I'm sure that something could be sorted out here-but I do need a pattern to copy, so send a PM whenever you wish..

The first time that I used an Ambidex was about 1950-ish, when a Services friend kindly gave me the use of one whilst he was serving in Korea.
My Uncle bought one of the earliest 'Duco' models, which I was allowed to use from time-to-time and I eventually bought my own a few years after that.

I have always found J.W.Young's reels to be very soundly constructed in every respect- far more so than Hardy 'stationary drum' reels. The latter are very pretty to look at with much attention paid to fine detail and choice of metals, but very flimsy and unnecessarily delicate in some areas when it comes down to waterside practicality. The Ambidex and 'badge engineered' similar models such as the 'Duco' and 'Duco-B' are far more workmanlike products, not lacking in thoroughness of manufacture and capable of absorbing a lot of punishment and abuse, accidental and otherwise..

A great many parts were standardised or very similar in size and pattern, which is absolutely logical in any manufacturing company, where models are progressively improved and developed in order that stocks of existing components may not be unduly wasted.
Unfortunately, this caused many issues later-as we are discussing now!
Because of some part interchangeability and simplicity of construction, most reels from their stable-and other notable makes-were subjected to being "stripped down" (why???) a great many times during their lifetimes and all the careful factory setting up with shims to give perfect running went out of the window-or most probably-lost on the shed floor or beneath the table, never to be seen again.. Most you see today have mangled screw heads and tight-or noisy running in one direction which bears testimony to this.

The chances of any Ambidex or Duco being found today with every single original part as was factory fitted are close to zero, although I do know of one Duco which lies in it's original box and tissue paper, complete with instructions and which has never had a line on it or been fitted to a rod, let alone been taken apart. It was a piece of unsold stock from when a Tackle shop closed and which the owner put away as a memento.

My own thoughts are that if you have an end nut which only locates by a couple of thread turns, then something is not as when the reel was new. Youngs were very thorough when it came to things like that and all threads were located by a minimum depth of at least their own diameter.
Damaged nuts caused by ill-fitting tools and threads which are chewed up are all too commonly seen on these fine reels which is such a shame and I have seen many that have been unbelievable butchered, under the heading of "home modifications".

So, the chances of nuts-and most other parts-being swapped around seems to be almost the norm, but as said, if you need one to be matched up to suit the opposite, send a PM.

There are some fine reels being shown on here by the way, better than my old workhorses! ..Enjoying looking at the pictures!

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Keston
Tench

Re: Earliest Ambidex nuts

Post by Keston »

Watermole+ wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:39 pm
Hi WM+
Fair comment re the nuts not working loose. it was conjecture on my part , I had no experience at all of Ambidex reels back in the day and wouldn't know how well they functioned back then and little nowadays either .
I appreciate your gentle challenges over all things mechanical .
Best wishes
John
[/quote]

Apologies for the sniffy 'challenge' remark John. It was certainly not intended that way. :Hat:

I meant that, it you need a nut or three making up to put right a mis-match, I'm sure that something could be sorted out here-but I do need a pattern to copy, so send a PM whenever you wish..

The first time that I used an Ambidex was about 1950-ish, when a Services friend kindly gave me the use of one whilst he was serving in Korea.
My Uncle bought one of the earliest 'Duco' models, which I was allowed to use from time-to-time and I eventually bought my own a few years after that.

I have always found J.W.Young's reels to be very soundly constructed in every respect- far more so than Hardy 'stationary drum' reels. The latter are very pretty to look at with much attention paid to fine detail and choice of metals, but very flimsy and unnecessarily delicate in some areas when it comes down to waterside practicality. The Ambidex and 'badge engineered' similar models such as the 'Duco' and 'Duco-B' are far more workmanlike products, not lacking in thoroughness of manufacture and capable of absorbing a lot of punishment and abuse, accidental and otherwise..

A great many parts were standardised or very similar in size and pattern, which is absolutely logical in any manufacturing company, where models are progressively improved and developed in order that stocks of existing components may not be unduly wasted.
Unfortunately, this caused many issues later-as we are discussing now!
Because of some part interchangeability and simplicity of construction, most reels from their stable-and other notable makes-were subjected to being "stripped down" (why???) a great many times during their lifetimes and all the careful factory setting up with shims to give perfect running went out of the window-or most probably-lost on the shed floor or beneath the table, never to be seen again.. Most you see today have mangled screw heads and tight-or noisy running in one direction which bears testimony to this.

The chances of any Ambidex or Duco being found today with every single original part as was factory fitted are close to zero, although I do know of one Duco which lies in it's original box and tissue paper, complete with instructions and which has never had a line on it or been fitted to a rod, let alone been taken apart. It was a piece of unsold stock from when a Tackle shop closed and which the owner put away as a memento.

My own thoughts are that if you have an end nut which only locates by a couple of thread turns, then something is not as when the reel was new. Youngs were very thorough when it came to things like that and all threads were located by a minimum depth of at least their own diameter.
Damaged nuts caused by ill-fitting tools and threads which are chewed up are all too commonly seen on these fine reels which is such a shame and I have seen many that have been unbelievable butchered, under the heading of "home modifications".

So, the chances of nuts-and most other parts-being swapped around seems to be almost the norm, but as said, if you need one to be matched up to suit the opposite, send a PM.

There are some fine reels being shown on here by the way, better than my old workhorses! ..Enjoying looking at the pictures!

wm+
[/quote]
Dear WM+
I certainly haven't taken any of your responses to my as seeming "sniffy" . On the contrary I really appreciate it when you respond to my questions on the forum . You have a lot of knowledge and experience and I value you sharing that . Not just with me , but with the many others who read and may one day search for related information . TFF threads frequently appear at the top of Google searches for vintage tackle queries .

Very interesting to hear of your experiences with these J.W. young reels , interesting and informative. Very thought provoking looking back to how these reels may have been when brand new compared to decades down the . Perhaps we all long to find those unused boxed reels.

Thank you , I will send you a PM at some point to see if matching nuts could be fashioned .

I have some other nice ambidex / Duco and other reels so will post more images :-)

Best wishes
John

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”