The National Vintage Fishing Tackle Fair - Sunday 13th November 2022

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: The National Vintage Fishing Tackle Fair - Sunday 13th November 2022

Post by Lea Dweller »

Looking forward to seeing lots of TFF members on Sunday, myself and John (Fredline) will be sharing adjoining tables. John will have a variety of quality rods reels and other items, always value for money! :Ok: I will be bringing some very inexpensive fibreglass rods, so if you want a nice alternative to cane, come and see me! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Arcadia
Ruffe

Post by Arcadia »

Ladies and gentlemen

One of my stallholders on Sunday has had to drop out after his gearbox blew up....so, I have a stall available to rent at short notice. If anyone fancies stalling out please call me on 07980 274 383, it's first come, first served.

Many thanks

John

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Nobby wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:24 am One always imagines that dogs are banned from restaurants by Law. It must be true because you never see a dog in a restaurant.

But in fact no such Law exists, it's all down to the owner of the premises to decide and they invariably opt to ban dogs because......you never see a dog in a restaurant. :-)
Sorry Nobby, but have to say that you are wrong. I have frequently seen dogs in garden centre cafes and light eateries on several occasions, the most recent being at Endsleigh Garden Centre at Ivybridge, S,Devon and at Homeleigh Garden Centre at Dutton, just outside Launceston, Cornwall.

We were sat at a side table, enjoying an afternoon coffee at Homeleigh and there were actually three dogs plus owners, only one of which (the dogs) was on a lead. The other two were wandering about, one scrounging and sniffing at other tables. This was put up with by-it has to be said, myself included-very tolerant members of the public until the two untethered dogs started a barking match, which went on for a few minutes before one of the owners intervened.
Now, I don't know about you-and I would like to stress to all you dog owners at this point- that I do like all animals very much, including dogs and cats and whilst many treat their pets as equal to children, I do draw the line at having them off lead and effectively out of control, in places where humans may sit and eat. Even on lead, dogs do not always see eye-to-eye and loud barking can be very off-putting to many would be clients..

It is not a question of dislike or general intolerance, it is a question of personal hygiene and whatever you dog owners or others may think, Having other people's pets scrounging from you where and when you are trying eat, is neither nice, nor acceptable...In My Opinion.

I have also been tripped up by a lead in a sporting goods, fishing tackle & clothing store and at my age, it hurt. True, the owner apologised and helped me up again, but it could have been more serious and therefore begs the question, whilst the shop owners do not have the slightest wish to deter would-be buyers, is not their first duty to ensure the safety of those who cross their threshold-and if that means that pets should be tethered outside, then as a shop owner, which do you choose?

I even saw one wander in through the door at Derriford Hospital, whilst waiting inside. I think it found it's way along several corridors before being caught..

I say again, I do like dogs in general very much, though cannot see the reason for many wanting to own some of the tough, fighting breeds, some of which are barely under control and which have been known to turn on their human families at times.

Dogs such as spaniels are beautiful creatures, faithful to a fault to their owners and many share every aspect of their lives together, including the table; but not all agree with this. Some people are actually fearful of all dogs and they too have an equal right to NOT have to share their company in public places.
On Dartmoor, a great many sheep die horribly every year as a result of out-of-control canine activity, their owners taking little if any responsibility for such activity, "Fido" having an equal 'right to roam' and all that..

Where members of this forum live with close access to beautiful countryside, of course-it is entirely natural that canine companions should form part of their lives and go everywhere in the open together! Why ever not? I fully agree with that.

BUT..I do feel that in close communities (is that the right phraseology?) such as shops and restaurants, people-and the rights of all people- come first and where some have a fear of dogs or simply do not like them, NOT hate them, just do not like them, then eateries, shops and other places have a duty to uphold that. Something that owners should try and understand and respect.
Guide dogs excepted of course.

As said, just my views, respectful to all owners.. :Hat:

wm+ (who owned dogs when he lived in the Country)

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Very well put Watermole.

Arcadia
Ruffe

Post by Arcadia »

Ladies and gentlemen

One of my stallholders on Sunday has had to drop out after his gearbox blew up....so, I have a stall available to rent at short notice. If anyone fancies stalling out please call me on 07980 274 383, it's first come, first served.

Many thanks

John

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Hi Watermole+, it's often been said that there are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners.

Not completely true, of course, but invariably the owner is at least part of the problem..

I once knew a dog behavioural psychologist who declared that he thought about 85% of the country's dog owners didn't know what they were doing. I'm putting my neck on the chopping block here, but I will go so far as to say that I find invariably the 'bad owners' are women who often seem to think they are raising a substitute human baby and have no idea of what an 'alpha' is.

That said, most of the best trainers I have met....have been women.

My original post on this was partly meant in jest, demonstrating the perfect self-fulfilling prophesy. Indeed, my local pup has dogs often outnumbering the people, but no dogs were allowed in the restaurant. But so many people ignored the rule that they gave up on enforcing it.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Dog owners are a big problem. I have often had issues with dogs running free on the beach when I'm sea fishing. I quite like a dog to come up and say hello when fishing and most are friendly and well behaved but many owners show an amazing amount of ignorant when it comes to understanding the behaviour of their dogs. It never seems to enter their tiny brains that if something is stuck up on a flat featureless beach a dog will pee up it. Many times dogs have peed up my seat box or fish bag.

Owners are also often unaware that dogs will often scoff your bait which has happened to me on a number of occasions. Even worse is the risk that a dog will swallow a baited hook. I take action to ensure this can't happen when I see a dog approach me but if my attention is elsewhere I may not be able to avoid this. I take every opportunity to educate dog owners of this risk and the need to keep them under control.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

The lack of common sense applied by many dog owners is - well, I was going to say 'unbelievable' but it's not. Dogs have to be treated like dogs, it's what they know and can understand. Funny, the misbehaving dogs often have children of a similar ilk.

Anyway, dogs in restaurants? They can't even use a knife and fork.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

ImageImage

Yes I must agree it’s the owners who are usually the problem, I take him fishing most weeks and although he seems to enjoy being out on the riverbank, he does seem to spend more time bird watching through his binoculars, leaving me in charge of his rod. Then of course after the fishing I usually take him to the pub, where again he spends time talking about fishing and football with his friends, usually ignoring my requests for more pork scratchings whilst he has yet another ale. I take him to work everyday and although he works hard I know that after nine or ten hours he’ll want to go home to the cottage because he’s tired, crikey I’m not even worn out! These humans have got a thing or two to learn about us canine fellas…
Anyone up for a long wander and a game of fetch?
All the best
Yates :Wink:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

:Hahaha:

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”