Varnish on varnish?

The Precision Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

Varnish on varnish?

Post by Cat »

Afternoon All, quick question regarding a light refurbishment of a Precison Rods Vanguard. Having done some necessary re-whipping, and liking the rod's patina, what's the best way to clean old (and cracked) varnish prior to a couple of coats of fresh varnish...just a wipe down with white spirit, or a very light sanding for 'bite'? As I say, I actually really like the ageing effect of the old varnish...just seems right on this particular rod (normally, I'd strip the whole lot off). Regards Cat

EricW
Perch

Re: Varnish on varnish?

Post by EricW »

Personally, I would abrade the old varnish with a grey scotchbrite pad. They don't clog like very fine wet and dry. That said, I would have done the areas that required re-whipping after removing the old thread and before applying the new because you will find it very hard to work up to the whippings without damaging the thread or getting dust caught in it. I'm not sure I would do it over large areas but I usually seal areas of cracked and old varnish that I can't risk damage to (over labels and handwriting for example) with 2 or 3 lightly thinned coats of PVA. Never had a problem yet, but I know there are better qualified people than me on here who may have better ideas and I'm as eager as you are to see what others suggest. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”