The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Catfish.017
Eel

Re: The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

Post by Catfish.017 »

David wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:08 pm I know this is a very old post but I have only just found it. I have a match rod built by B James & Son that looks very much like the rod in question. Although mine is a 3 piece 13ft 1inch Match rod without a separate handle. It has its original cloth bag and label. It is the same colour and marked above the cork handle, B James & Son England. What is worth noting is that this rod and my rod are joined together in the opposite way to others. The male connecting piece is on the top section and pushes in to the female ferrule on the lower section and the next lower section join in the same way as split cane rods joined. All later rods have the female connection on the top piece that fits over a male spigot on the lower sections like all later rods join.
Yes that's the first time I've seen integral glass to glass ferrules on a rod made of the early type glass.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi I have tried to send photos of fibreglass B James Match rod, but it says Files too large. Sorry !

David
Dace

Post by David »

As I am unable to send photos I will try to describe the joins on the rod Deaf Cat has and my rod has. The male end (upper section) has extra glass wrapped around it and the female (lower section) just has whipping around it and possibly, though not visibly, there may be extra glass as well as the whipping on female section. If you look at the photos that Deaf Cat showed originally, you can see what I am trying to describe. The tip piece of his rod shows how much extra glass there is (same as my rod). There are no spigots at all, so actually they are ferrule less rods. The rods Bruce and Walker made (all the ones I've seen) have a spigot on the lower section and the upper section has a female joint that pushes down over this spigot.

David
Dace

Post by David »

I forgot to add to my last post that Deaf Cat's rod has a separate handle so there is a female joint at the bottom of his rods lower main section, that fits over the handle section. Where as my rod is three sections without a separate handle. Also I do not know what Imgur or Tinypic is.
Last edited by David on Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

An alternative way to attach a photo, which I have just used here!

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

David
Dace

Post by David »

I know how to send the photos but it says that all my files are too large to send. What I have tried to do is make the images smaller in the way that was described to me but it did not work. Therefor I still can't send them

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

ImageThis is the LERC rod which I made in the mid 70s, which has ferrules rather like the ones you describe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

David
Dace

Post by David »

Yes they are similar

Albert47
Dace

Post by Albert47 »

I have one of these B James rods,which because of the handle length,is normally used like a pole rod.

David
Dace

Post by David »

what colour glass is the rod made of ?

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”