The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: The beginning of the end? An early fibreglass rod

Post by Nobby »

Bruce and Walker CTM14, perhaps? where they a four piece?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Firstly, I have to say that my guess was wrong! The CTM14 and CTM14A were THREE piece rods.

Here is one that didn't even sell at an auction:

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-2 ... piece.html

That said, others have sold for more on eBay...one for as much as £85!

But what the rod you have actually is I still don't know. Usually firbreglass rods are of little value today...the exception being rods from Hardy and Bruce and Walker-B.James....so it's anybody's guess!

Sorry, not to have been of more help.

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Have to agree with comments about Bruce + Walker hollow glass rods. I had a 13’ CTM match rod and while a lovely looking thing and the workmanship couldn’t be faulted, it’s rather floppy and in my view, Abu and Sealey were making better glass rods at the time. I picked up a Hardy 12’ Matchmaker at a boot fair a few years ago and it’s probably one the best all-round float/light ledger rods I have.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Check this out on Ebay!

1973 Bruce & Walker Advertising brochure detailing glass fibre range In association with B. James.

It details all the very early glass rods in the range including the CTM's
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The Bruce and Walker websiter has all the bumf, but in PDF format.

here it is:

just click on CTM, in Historical Product Information, five lines down:

http://bruceandwalker.co.uk/about_us

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

perchbasher wrote:Have to agree with comments about Bruce + Walker hollow glass rods. I had a 13’ CTM match rod and while a lovely looking thing and the workmanship couldn’t be faulted, it’s rather floppy and in my view, Abu and Sealey were making better glass rods at the time. I picked up a Hardy 12’ Matchmaker at a boot fair a few years ago and it’s probably one the best all-round float/light ledger rods I have.
The Matchmaker - especially the 12' & 13' versions - was probably the best glass float rod ever made. Miles better than the ABU and B&W rods around at the same time. A few years back a friend, struck with a bout of seventies nostalgia, dug his old ABU 13' match rod - circa 1974 - out for trip on the Test after grayling, and I took my 13' Matchmaker (1971 model) along to compare. When I found him he was using his Normark carbon - the ABU had been chucked up the bank in digust. I picked it up and had a couple of casts with it, but it was a pretty heavy and clunky beast. I then handed him my Hardy; I'll never forget the look on his face when he felt how light and responsive it was!

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Is it possible that Ken Clower,was also a member of the Northern Specimen Group?

The reason that I ask is that some time ago he gave me a Milbrolite Enterprise 13 ft, 4 piece rod he said had been given to him by Milbro. He told me that it was the first one in Nottingham so I guess it was quite an early example. It is a beast of a thing, although very light. I would say it has probably never been fished with. It is not a rod that I would ever use myself, but for fibreglass enthusiasts out there may be of some interest.

Bob
Also posted on the Northern Specimen Group thread.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Ron,
This is the beastie!
Bob

David
Dace

Post by David »

I know this is a very old post but I have only just found it. I have a match rod built by B James & Son that looks very much like the rod in question. Although mine is a 3 piece 13ft 1inch Match rod without a separate handle. It has its original cloth bag and label. It is the same colour and marked above the cork handle, B James & Son England. What is worth noting is that this rod and my rod are joined together in the opposite way to others. The male connecting piece is on the top section and pushes in to the female ferrule on the lower section and the next lower section join in the same way as split cane rods joined. All later rods have the female connection on the top piece that fits over a male spigot on the lower sections like all later rods join.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Well I never!

Thanks for that David.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”