Hook Size Palaver's!

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Hook Size Palaver's!

Post by Mr B »

I have just took delivery of my new flip up landing net.
To save paying the postage of £6.25 I had to spend another £6.00, so I got some line and a packet of hooks size 12 ( I have plenty of bigger hooks)
The size 12's look more like a size 4!
I am loosing track now even of the old sizes.
Is there now an actual size chart conversation?
What I can make of it.. "its all about the gape"?

Photo bellow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

JAA
Grayling

Re: Hook Size Palaver's!

Post by JAA »

There is really no standard 'size' for 'size', as it were. The original sizes were based, iirc, on wire gauges originally used for making needles and then fishing hooks. It makes a nonsense of fishery rules regarding hook sizes. I've got size 8's in one pattern smaller than size 12s in another pattern.
Last edited by JAA on Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I found a packet of 1980s Sunridge Specimen hooks in size 2. Back then they were huge and I never used them.
Here is one in the middle compared to a modern size 6 on the left and a size 2 on the right.Image
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

That's remarkable Snape, I well remember the old Sundridge hooks and, like you, I never used a size 2 as they were massive. What make are those you compare to it?

Mr B, when this has come up before it's been suggested that the scale relates to the distance between to hook point and the shank. The hooks you've bought are almost circle hook patterned so the hook tip is turned in and closer to the shank. But, when you look at Snape's hooks, that theory goes for a ball of chalk.

I think I'll stop buying hooks online.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:59 pm That's remarkable Snape, I well remember the old Sundridge hooks and, like you, I never used a size 2 as they were massive. What make are those you compare to it?

Mr B, when this has come up before it's been suggested that the scale relates to the distance between to hook point and the shank. The hooks you've bought are almost circle hook patterned so the hook tip is turned in and closer to the shank. But, when you look at Snape's hooks, that theory goes for a ball of chalk.

I think I'll stop buying hooks online.
Yes, I know just what you are all saying.
I like to support my local tackle shops when I can.. and, yes, I just walk round a pick up a packet of hooks that I think will do.
Buying on line has its advantages ( unfortunately) but when comes to hooks... this is the last time, but it was done in desperation to save the postage cost.
The hooks look good though and I am very pleased with the landing net!
I remember going into my local tackle shop when was a young teenager and getting little boxes of Mustard hooks 100 at a time for a pittance and they were always good and true to size, had a print of a key on them if I am not mistaken?
Oh for the good old tackle shops.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

I agree entirely Mr B. I have some 20s the same size as another brand's 14s !!
Crackers!
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Whilst agreeing with all the comments above re lack of uniformity in sizes, I have to say that Korum, in particular, do seem to make all of their hooks huge when compared to other brands. That surprises me a little as I do wonder if they don’t simply buy them in from other makers.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

I remember going to my favourite tackle shop where they sold Mustads from the boxes singularly, used to buy 10 for a penny each! (Size 2 for Carp and Pike).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, as said above hook sizes were geared to SWG thicknesses, Standard Wire Guage. The appropriate thickness for the job in hand was given and the resulting hook called by the gauge sizing:

This was when the world was simple and black and white.

Since then It's impossible to choose a hook by its given 'size' because the number given reflects no thickness size nor overall dimensions. They just make it up as they go along.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

On waters with a maximum hook size (like the one I've been fishing this week) it would be useful to know the hooks that run big. If anyone queries the size you can just show the packet. Where I am there's a maximum of size 12.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”