Sealey Floatcaster De Luxe split Cane/ Glass Version11'

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
MrCrabtree
Rudd

Sealey Floatcaster De Luxe split Cane/ Glass Version11'

Post by MrCrabtree »

Firstly I would like to say what a great forum this is once again I have found the discussions a fabulous mine of information and really helpful when coming across vintage tackle.
I have just acquired a bundle of rods among which was an Edgar Sealey bag with a 3 section rod consisting of a split cane butt section labelled "Floatcaster De Luxe" and the other 2 sections in hollow glass. I originally thought that such a combination meant it was a very good repair/ mishmash of two rods but having looked on the forum I realised that it was perfectly correct.
Anyway I am now extremely happy with my acquisition.
In reference to earlier posts concerning the whippings mine appear to be very dark green similar to that of another member and not blue although I suppose they could have darkened over the years.
Also mine does not bear the 2 fishes logo.
Once again the forum has provided me with great info and prevented me from disposing of the rod believing it to be rubbish.
Thanks to all
Mike

Parabolic
Dace

Re: Sealey Floatcaster De Luxe split Cane/ Glass Version11'

Post by Parabolic »

I also have the 11' glass/cane Floatcaster, which is my absolute favourite float rod. The action seems just right for me and the quirkiness of the split cane butt and glass middle and tip adds to the aesthetic. Added to that I picked it up in really good original condition 6 or 7 years ago for £16, so a bargain to boot.

I also have the 12' version in the last stages of restoration, it was in a bit of a state when I picked it up but a bargain as well.

On the subject of whipping colour, when I stripped off the old whippings on the 12' version the outside looked a dark blue/green, but the inside next to the blank was the original vivid blue. I'm guessing yours might be similar.

I've re-wrapped the 12' in Pipers Bure Blue, which last time I looked appeared to be either out of stock or discontinued.

I'm sure you'll enjoy using the 11'.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Another vote for this particular rod from me. I posted about finding one at a boot fair earlier this Summer. It needed work but I've conserved it rather than restoring it and found it to be a great all rounder, quite Wizardish in action but with a sensible length handle. All my Daw End Tench were caught on it bar the one I had on Monday and the five pound Carp too. A really useful rod. There has been two of these on that auction site recently ( I think one may still be there?) I was tempted to get another but resisted in the end!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

They really are good allrounders and capable of handling big fish. I had the 12ft version first but I think the 11ft version was much nicer to use.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Oops! I have just seen this post after posting some pictures of a Rodrill version of this rod! They are certainly different, in my opinion underrated too! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”