Crucian Carp or Brown Goldfish?

This forum is for discussing crucian.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Crucian Carp or Brown Goldfish?

Post by Dave Burr »

Mutants! I would not fish for them, or Koi, or Orfe, and I see nothing desirable about them or their stupid great shubunkin fins.

But that's just me :Sun:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:33 am Mutants! I would not fish for them, or Koi, or Orfe, and I see nothing desirable about them or their stupid great shubunkin fins.

But that's just me :Sun:
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: I was counting the hours Dave! I don’t think anyone actually tries to catch what I call Frankenfish but they are even less discriminating than Carp when it comes to taking bait and techniques! My brother caught the Shubunkin finned one up in the water after decent Rudd!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Tengisgol wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:18 am
Phil Arnott wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:34 pm I've seen brown goldfish in some long established ornamental lakes. As far as I'm aware a goldfish stock will eventually revert to brown specimens over time.

What's this one below though - Brown Goldfish or Gibel Carp?

Hi Phil, if this is a regular haunt try and get some really clear mat photos with fins extended. If we can then count scales on the lateral line and rays on the fins we could have a stab. It appears to have an interesting convex dorsal in that photo.
The picture was taken quite some time ago 1999. There were three fish like this and they kept themselves separate and didn't associate with the crucians in the pond. I've edited the picture as best I could to try and give more detail. The scale count along the lateral line is 29 possibly 30 with a scale near the tail missing. It weighed 2lb 3oz.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I've managed to get more of the fish out of the pond. One of the brown fish is a fantail! I'm sure I never put fantails in the pond - just ordinary goldfish and shubunkins.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Phil Arnott wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:22 pm
Tengisgol wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:18 am
Phil Arnott wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:34 pm I've seen brown goldfish in some long established ornamental lakes. As far as I'm aware a goldfish stock will eventually revert to brown specimens over time.

What's this one below though - Brown Goldfish or Gibel Carp?

Hi Phil, if this is a regular haunt try and get some really clear mat photos with fins extended. If we can then count scales on the lateral line and rays on the fins we could have a stab. It appears to have an interesting convex dorsal in that photo.
The picture was taken quite some time ago 1999. There were three fish like this and they kept themselves separate and didn't associate with the crucians in the pond. I've edited the picture as best I could to try and give more detail. The scale count along the lateral line is 29 possibly 30 with a scale near the tail missing. It weighed 2lb 3oz.

Scale count combined with the convex dorsal would suggest a goldfish and crucian hybrid according to the EA/Angling Trust chart:

https://anglingtrust.net/wp-content/upl ... _Guide.pdf
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A French Crucian!

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Thanks for the reply Tengisgol. I've had a look at pictures of Gibel Carp and they seem have a concave dorsal so crucian/goldfish cross looks most likely.

:Thumb:

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”