The mystery of the Redmire teapot

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

The mystery of the Redmire teapot

Post by StalkingLuke »

As told in Casting at the Sun, on the last day of the 1979-1980 season, Chris Yates fishing Redmire observed an object suddenly appear out in the centre of the pool, it was floating on the surface and he watched it drift towards him. Eventually it was washed ashore and it became apparent that it was an ancient brown teapot!

Chris was surprised but, imagined the scene of Dick Walker having just landed Clarissa and in jubilation grabbing the nearest object his teapot and tossing it into the record breaking pool. Years later, it had become filled with gas bubbles and had floated back up from the lake bed to the surface.

Chris jammed the teapot into the branches of a willow and thought nothing more of it until a few years later he received a letter from Fred J Taylor. Fred having just read the book said that Dick had indeed always used a brown china teapot but it had mysteriously gone missing about the time of the record carp capture!

What a great story and it made me wonder whatever happened to the teapot, is it still stuck in that tree or did it fall to the ground and get swallowed up? Does anybody know?
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The mystery of the Redmire teapot

Post by Mark »

I have always wondered what happened to it Luke after CY had hung it in the tree.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mark wrote:I have always wondered what happened to it Luke after CY had hung it in the tree.
Sadly someone stole it! :cry:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

That is a shame, I was hoping to use it soon.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Return to “Redmire Pool”