Nice canal Stripeys

This forum is for discussing perch.
Catfish.017
Eel

Nice canal Stripeys

Post by Catfish.017 »

A short session on the Coventry at Fradley after an early lunch. The stretch between Gorse Lane and the Junction has caught my attention lately with lots of small Roach showing and decent Perch homing in on them. There is a good number of moored boats here on the towpath side. The advantage of this is that the passing boats ALWAYS slow down for moored boats so disturbance is at a minimum. I found a good spot with lasting shade from a big overhanging Oak and a gap between boats too small to allow another to squeeze in.
I fed a little mash and a few loose maggots close in towards the bottom of the near shelf. I like a short rod for this fishing, the Persuader being ideal. Harcork float, 14 hook and double grub. Roach came almost immediately from half ounce up to three ounce. It was a good while before the first Perch came along but at a pound and a quarter it was worth the wait. I was half expecting it as the Roach had gone very quiet. Two more came along at intervals, twelve ounce and ten ounce the last on treble caster. Throughout the afternoon the Oak above me was shedding acorns, a consequence of the hot dry weather, damsel flys landed on my rod and a larger Emperor Dragonfly hawked the surface hunting its prey.

Troydog
Tench

Re: Nice canal Stripeys

Post by Troydog »

Lovely fishing CATFISH.017. Reading your report I was almost there fishing with you….
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Nice canal Stripeys

Post by Catfish.017 »

Yes it was a nice session Tim. No great ambition to empty the place just happy catching what came along and avoiding the hot sun.

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”