Thread colour on Mk IV Avon

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
OldAngler
Perch

Thread colour on Mk IV Avon

Post by OldAngler »

I recently saw an advert, (not on TFF), for a split cane Richard Walker Mk IV Avon. I cannot be sure of the maker but In think I can see the end of the James and Sons name in one of the photos.

The seller claims that his rod is 'an early version' because it has red whippings, and hence is more desirable then 'younger versions' which he says have green whippings. He does not specify what he means by 'older' and 'younger.' Is he correct about the colour of whippings?

I personally have only seen Mk IV Avons by James with green whippings.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Thread colour on Mk IV Avon

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

It's quite possible that the original owner specified red as opposed to green whippings?
I've only seen green whipped B James MKIV Avons
I suspect someone with the necessary knowledge will come forward and educate us!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I'm sure the Green whipped rods are the scarce ones, Burgundy being the standard colour on all the age groups. The shape of the handle top is a better guide to the age of these Avons, trumpet being the oldest through Onion to doughnut.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Catfish.017 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:43 pm I'm sure the Green whipped rods are the scarce ones, Burgundy being the standard colour on all the age groups. The shape of the handle top is a better guide to the age of these Avons, trumpet being the oldest through Onion to doughnut.
I’m lead to believe that you are indeed correct in your assumption, the green ones are the rarer ones to find πŸ‘πŸ»
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

RBTraditional wrote: ↑Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:51 am
Catfish.017 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:43 pm I'm sure the Green whipped rods are the scarce ones, Burgundy being the standard colour on all the age groups. The shape of the handle top is a better guide to the age of these Avons, trumpet being the oldest through Onion to doughnut.
I’m lead to believe that you are indeed correct in your assumption, the green ones are the rarer ones to find πŸ‘πŸ»
I agree Rob, the early versions do seem to be mostly a red variant.
When matching up the colour to replace a ring or ferrule, I found earlier rods were unsealed Maroon 337 and a better match for the later rods is Garnet 208.

Wal.

Return to β€œB. James & Sons Cane Rods”