My 52-year old 505

The ABU Reels forum.
MWithell
Chub

Re: My 52-year old 505

Post by MWithell »

So far as I remember they didn't stay in production long. Maybe I need to try it again and see whether this one is plagued by line trapping problems. The thickness of the line might make a difference.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

No, not around for long, surprising as the Shakespeare brand was quite big at that time in match fishing with some popular rods and a very successful match sponsorship. I was only using 2 and 2.5 lb. lines for float fishing, the pick up pins were I think much smaller in diameter compared to the ABU as well.

Polecat501
Dace

Post by Polecat501 »

BeechmereLake wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:11 pm Although I have had dozens of these reels I have actually never used one, my go to reel has always been the 507 or 508.

Back in 2012 my collection of reels helped to do the ABU GOLDEN JUBILEE book and after considerable expense and time finding them
I ended up with some beauties in mint condition from both UK and USA and there were a few different models.

Working with another person who did all the research on when they were made he documented the reel as produced in 1962 with
paperwork being available from 1961 now interestingly last week I read Len Borgstroms book, ABU & Garcia, What Happened and in the back of the book Len has written 1960 ABU 505, a completely new spinning reel without a bail is introduced, this is listed under the heading significant years, make of that what you will. :Hat:
Two lovely 505’s there, the first is what I believe is the first (1960/61 version?) without the stainless steel lip. The second is the US import of the second version I think (mine was made in 1970), yours has the new stainless steel lip like mine, same red handle and the crinkly black body paint… just a red Garcia badge rather than the blue ABU Svangsta badge.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Polecat501 you are right with your descriptions and yes the only difference between Garcia and Svangsta reels was the sticker, the early version from 61 had some unique parts to it including the main drive shaft which Abu changed on the next version in 63 and that part was then used right up till the reel ceased to be made, typical Abu always fixing something that wasn't broke :hairpull:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Polecat501
Dace

Post by Polecat501 »

BeechmereLake wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:11 pm Although I have had dozens of these reels I have actually never used one, my go to reel has always been the 507 or 508.

Back in 2012 my collection of reels helped to do the ABU GOLDEN JUBILEE book and after considerable expense and time finding them
I ended up with some beauties in mint condition from both UK and USA and there were a few different models.

Working with another person who did all the research on when they were made he documented the reel as produced in 1962 with
paperwork being available from 1961 now interestingly last week I read Len Borgstroms book, ABU & Garcia, What Happened and in the back of the book Len has written 1960 ABU 505, a completely new spinning reel without a bail is introduced, this is listed under the heading significant years, make of that what you will. :Hat:
A beautiful pair of 505’s. It’s interesting to see the boxes and documents supplied with a new reel, too.

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

Stunning reels.
I think I might keep my eye out for a 505 myself and see how they compare to others in the series.

All the best.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Polecat501
Dace

Post by Polecat501 »

Wanderer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:59 am Stunning reels.
I think I might keep my eye out for a 505 myself and see how they compare to others in the series.

All the best.
I’d classify them as very similar to the original 506, but with a funky red paint scheme and a star drag. I actually think that the star drag makes it a little easier to make small drag adjustments, but I admit to a little bias here. :Chuckle:

SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Post by SooperClooper »

I bought a new 507 not long after they were introduced, used it for lure fishing for pike with .35mm Abulon Extra (18lb bs) and it never missed a beat. Tried it recently with .36mm Power Pro braid and it didn't like the braid, landed lots of pike up to 22lbs and the odd carp to mid double figures and all using the auto syncro drag!

Return to “ABU Reels”