ESS heavy ledger

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
EdNash
Rudd

Re: ESS heavy ledger

Post by EdNash »

Old Wulf wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:59 am
AshbyCut wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:00 pm I think Wal is perfectly correct, and you have an early Octopus 'Vaal' which could be used for spinning or sea fishing.

Edgar Sealey rods certainly had a strong link with South Africa in the 50's ... as the 'Late News Flash' in their 1958 leaflet shows :-

((I'm happy to cast 5 yards in my tiddler snatching escapades !!! :shocked: ))

The leaflet also helps to date your rod to at least 1957 or earlier, as I believe it had been dropped from their range before this publication shows their move into solid glass rods for spinning and sea fishing ... and by the 1964 'Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment Price List' they have expanded their range further into hollow glass spinning and sea rods too.

The only built cane sea and spinning rods by this year are the two Salmex, the Sea Leader, the Sea Sprite, and the Sea Standard.
Do we really believe that? A cast of 243 yards using a quarter ounce weight? Surely something is wrong.
Hi Guys,
All four rods completed in green/red twist at great expense from Grahame at Belvoirdale.com in USA.
The rods are right to left Livebait pike rod, Octospin heavy spin, VAAL, Octofloat deluxe.
They have turned out really well, lots of new rings, delamination fixed etc.
The VAAL butt ring whipping came out more green as the spool was coming to the end and changed colour. The Heavy Spin had red staining which I couldnt completely remove.
The varnish is still a bit bright and will be flattened down when fully hardened.
Hope you like the pictures, thanks for the advice and especially the transfer from Tengisol.
Ed.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A nice collection of rods Ed. A Sealey for all seasons.

Wal.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:30 am A nice collection of rods Ed. A Sealey for all seasons.

Wal.
Thanks Wal, they are. A bit heavy duty for me except the octofloat. The VAAL is handy as its 3 piece.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”