River Bream fishing

This forum is for discussing bream.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

River Bream fishing

Post by TrentFisher »

Hello Everyone I hope you are all well.

Bream....they seem to get a mixed reation for various reason.
In recent seasons the population on my local stretch of the Trent has increased greaty.The average size is fish of 4-5lb .
The barbel fishers constanly moan they get pestered by them during night sessions and guess this is mainly due to the quatities of pellets these guys use?

For me it rings opportunity.I have taken many bream in the warm and colder months during recent seasons and the best one approaching 7lbs.
Most have been taken on float tatics when fishing for roach.

This season following a couple of float sessions which included some bream I have decided to dedicate a little more time in pursuing these bronze beauties.

My approach has to been cost affective.
Sweetcorn is the main bait (Lidl tin for hook bait frozen for feed)
Groundbait for the cage feeder is cheap bread -mashed with added porridge flakes to stiffen and some lightly liquidised sweetcorn.These last two ingedients also help as an attracatent when the feeder contents disburse on the river bed.

Tackle is an old Diawa Barnsley black quivertip rod and Mitchell RD1160 Reel.
Main line is 8lb clear diawa senor with a a 6lb hook link.The bream do run into double figures and there also the chance of a barbel interupting proceedings...a nice interuption!

The feeder rig a simple loop method ,10-20g feeders

One thing I find that does help...on the Trent is to continue loose feeding.When float fishing you do this and the same applies even when feeder fishing as this extra consant supply of free offerings seems to work well.I normally catapult a few grains in front and slightly upstream on a regular basis more so June-October depending on conditions.

My last session was yesterday where I managed 9 bream in around 31/2 hours,each one gave a account of itself right up to the net.The larger ones if I am lucky to hook one certainly go some!

The other bonus is you quite often get some very good roach .

River bream...get my vote.

Enjoy your outings

-Nige.

EricW
Perch

Re: River Bream fishing

Post by EricW »

And they seem to fight a lot harder in the current than their still water cousins. Nice to hear of somebody else who appreciates them.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I couldn't agree more about river bream. They are a very different animal to their stillwater cousins.
Legered spam is a great bait for them too. Mashed spam and bread in an open end feeder, 1/2" cube on the hook. No silly twitchy bites either, a nice slow easy to hit bite.

Wal.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Despite my comments about some of our TFF bream magnets (well, one in particular :whistle: ) I used to love a spot of summer breaming. The Wye does throw them up from time to time but not regularly enough to target them. However, I lived near the river Tone and the drains of Sedgemoor and a day like today, cloudy, warm, on the sultry side, would see me rushing to the water laden with groundbait, tackle and towels to clean the bream snot off everything. Ahh yes, the next day bream landing net. Don't forget to take it out of the car at night :doh:

I do sometimes miss my bream fishing.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:06 pm Despite my comments about some of our TFF bream magnets (well, one in particular :whistle: ) I used to love a spot of summer breaming. The Wye does throw them up from time to time but not regularly enough to target them. However, I lived near the river Tone and the drains of Sedgemoor and a day like today, cloudy, warm, on the sultry side, would see me rushing to the water laden with groundbait, tackle and towels to clean the bream snot off everything. Ahh yes, the next day bream landing net. Don't forget to take it out of the car at night :doh:

I do sometimes miss my bream fishing.
Yes Dave, its one of those delightful smells that never really goes away. Putrid ragworm is another. :Chuckle:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That is a different league! :Thumbsdown:: Putrid sea bait! Real stinky stuff - - boffing material! :mrgreen:

Recently returned from France - had loads of bream! Up to about 4/5 lb. Little ones for silure bait.

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”