Octofloat(s) like buses

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
MWithell
Chub

Re: Octofloat(s) like buses

Post by MWithell »

"((A small pedantic point ... I preferred it when it was called "de Luxe" ... and not "De Luxe" !!! My French Master at Ashby de la Zouch Boys Grammar School would NOT have approved of the change !!! :Wink: ))"
Actually, it doesn't need any capitals unless Luxe is a proper noun. It just means 'luxury'. Not to be confused with luxure, which is 'unbridled sexual pleasure'...
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

MWithell wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:34 pm "((A small pedantic point ... I preferred it when it was called "de Luxe" ... and not "De Luxe" !!! My French Master at Ashby de la Zouch Boys Grammar School would NOT have approved of the change !!! :Wink: ))"
Actually, it doesn't need any capitals unless Luxe is a proper noun. It just means 'luxury'. Not to be confused with luxure, which is 'unbridled sexual pleasure'...
luxure sounds quite interesting although i am not sure i want to know how it would be acheived with an Ocotofloat

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Some people are sad enough, Gilbert!
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

I notice from all those catalogue pictures that the tip sections are an inch or more shorter than the other two. Over the years I have seen many comments bemoaning the fact that a rod was in fine condition with just an inch missing from the tip and can't help wondering if many of those rods were in fact undamaged. That 'missing inch' merely the result of there being no female ferrule on the tip section.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

the 1st rod arrived today. an absolute belter ..... tight ferrules , dead straight , good tip and butt rings ,no delam, no staining,original ferrule plugs . the ally reel grip is stuck on the handle , and fitting new shrives may be the wtg anyway but really it could not be better .

just spoken to Pete Johnson -re threads - this rod is no later than 1954 ...Wow!

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

The second rod turned up today (fashionably late ) (i was getting a bit twitchy)

like the first it is straight , with no faults goodish handle ,with good butt and tip rings . an easy resto and only £30

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

EricW wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:09 am I notice from all those catalogue pictures that the tip sections are an inch or more shorter than the other two. Over the years I have seen many comments bemoaning the fact that a rod was in fine condition with just an inch missing from the tip and can't help wondering if many of those rods were in fact undamaged. That 'missing inch' merely the result of there being no female ferrule on the tip section.
You usually find the length of the cane is near as dammit , the same on all sections . just have a poke inside the female.( titter ye not !)....ferrules i was going to say ,to establish where the cane stops.

having now got both rods , the sections are the same on both and the ferrules will take the males of either rod. .....the benefits of mass production !. does make me wonder why folk bought the de Luxe apart from the extra finery it offers for an additional 20% on the purchase price!

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Banksy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:19 am I am constantly amazed by the dismal quality of many photos posted on the auction sites. With any fairly modern camera or mobile phone camera, it is hard NOT to take a reasonable photo. Blurred images immediately make me suspicious. So I am probably missing out on some real bargains!
the crummy pics are the ones i home in on. a lot of people just skim past them but i have found some fine rods and not paid much money by doing that...........2 MKIV Avons ...£60+ £70 respectively and other little steals...............

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”