Tackle for weedy stillwater swims

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Tackle for weedy stillwater swims

Post by Olly »

Paper bags were used - stuffed with pebbles and worms for barbel!

Being out in the countryside is wonderful - rain (not too extreme though) or shine. So long it is warm and not too cold - now showing my age!

Still - it will be getting hotter we are assured!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

RBTraditional wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:54 pm I’ve probably read too much Venables Dave it's warped my mind :Wink: ...but in all honesty I dislike the modern approach to angling that puts catching before the pleasure of being beside the water, being at one with nature and at peace with ones self.... :Thumb:
Ps...I’ve go the obligatory 70s hair cut! :Hahaha:
I've got many Venables and BB books Rob and adore the simple approach but, I also have ambition and dislike routine so I'm always looking to explore new methods and tactics and to catch decent fish. But I have never lost that innocent pleasure of being by the water. I am interested in all the nature around me and am fascinated by the world beneath the ripples. In fact, some of the 'modern' items such as bite alarms, give me far more scope for exploring and taking pleasure from the environment I am in.

Just saying :Hat:

By the way, your hair is fine. Yesterday I saw a full on mullet being worn by somebody with self image issues - some things were best left to history :Chuckle:

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

RBTraditional wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:54 pm I’ve probably read too much Venables Dave it's warped my mind :Wink: ...but in all honesty I dislike the modern approach to angling that puts catching before the pleasure of being beside the water, being at one with nature and at peace with ones self.... :Thumb:
Ps...I’ve go the obligatory 70s hair cut! :Hahaha:
An approach that essentially begins with Richard Walker, something that I mention in my contribution to the recent collection of tributes to him edited by Martin James, and a comment that rather conflicts with some of the sentiments expressed in your own piece in that book.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

No conflicting views between the way I fish and that article as far as I’m concerned.....RW always impressed upon the importance of watercraft over tackle, regardless of his inventiveness :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

If you are fishing in the margins and can not rake, throw a bucket of pigeon conditioner with a tin of tuna in it and a tin of sweetcorn as well, make sure the ducks see you do it, you see what has happened the next trip

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”