Craftversa - how many were made?

The Milwards Rods forum.
Roachtench
Ruffe

Re: Craftversa - how many were made?

Post by Roachtench »

Not a vast number made as the rod was only marketed early mid 63 - one ad in Creel I think is all it made though can check later Milwards catalogues.
Early glass was starting to come along plus Milwards chief rod designer Terry Thomas said it was a complex and expensive rod to make.
Reg Rhygini said it was a great grayling trotting rod and wrote about it though it was marketed as a barbel rod - maybe barbel back then were only the same of largeish chub today .... an original Craftversa is a lovely balanced rod to hold, and a crucian rod of choice when fishing close to margin..
mine likes trotting for dace in southern chalk streams too

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:03 am Sorry I also have no idea how many were manufactured by Milwards but as you may be aware from posts on here I have and use an original Milwards Craftversa. Mine was originally advertised for sale / part exchange on this very site back in 2015 / 2016 I think. It caused no end of trouble at the time that the poster withdrew the rod and departed the Forum. Before the poster left I made him a cash offer - no negotiation on either side - if it was of interest I would collect the rod in person and hand over the cash. That was the basis of the deal and the deal was duly completed. The rod came with the original bag but was somewhat tired. I handed the rod to Andrew Davis who replaced the intermediate rings (butt and tip rings retained) with new black rings which matched the original pattern exactly (I kept the originals which I still have for historical reference). Andrew Davis did an excellent job in bringing the rod back to a top quality condition. I use the rod two or three times a year and a fine rod it is without a doubt. But seriously its reputation is in my opinion totally over-hyped and that is probably due to its scarcity and links to Bernard Venables. I believe a very good original example of a Milwards Craftversa was sold on ebay last year for in excess of £3,000 so I can see the attraction for building replicas. Whether the replicas so far made to date by other rod makers are exact replicas of the Milwards rod I cannot say.

Of original Milwards Craftversas I am aware of possibly 5 in total although there are bound to be a fair few more than that.
my own replica is as close to an original as it could be, not having the engraving on the tapered alloy butt ferrule or the transfer/serial number, and butt guide being the only differences as I had to use a bridged guide as I couldn’t get the exact type, later replicas were made with a 16mm Aqualite on the buyers request, even the minimal varnish finish was replicated. Andrew Davis’s replica is T a true replica, it’s far nicer finished and he used clear lines 25 mm but guides. Edward Barders version, again his interpretation, and his usual high quality finish but it lost some of the lightness in the tip to me. There are two others who have built their interpretations using blanks from me, both with different handle lengths and more guides, for their own personal use, I also would have built with two more intermediate guides if I hadn’t decided to make it a replica not my interpretation.

Your 1, my 2, Bumbles 1, the 1 I borrowed as pattern, 1 with a collector in wales, 1 with a collector in Hampshire, Nobby’s 1, David Perry’s 1 (one man one rod)

That’s nine I think although I know one is at least a foot short as I’ve quoted the owner for a new tip section build. I don’t know if the eBay one has been accounted for so could be ten.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

How many do you think even get used once a year - I know of only 3 that get used which is a terrible shame.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:14 am How many do you think even get used once a year - I know of only 3 that get used which is a terrible shame.
I used one of my originals first day of the season, the other isn’t in useable condition, I wouldn’t trust the whippings, but that too once restored, if I fully restore it, will be used.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I was watching a Passion for Angling earlier and noticed the episode with Bernard Venables saw him using his Craftversa which was a delight. I assume it is known where his rod now is?

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:03 pm I was watching a Passion for Angling earlier and noticed the episode with Bernard Venables saw him using his Craftversa which was a delight. I assume it is known where his rod now is?
I think I heard it’s still with the family, so that makes 10 I think if it is

HappyJack
Stickleback

Post by HappyJack »

Hi I'm new to this forum and I have just started fishing after a forty year break, I only wanted to fish using my original kit and came across this forum. I have a Craftversa number 88111 I think and have only ever fished with this rod.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

HappyJack wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:34 pm Hi I'm new to this forum and I have just started fishing after a forty year break, I only wanted to fish using my original kit and came across this forum. I have a Craftversa number 88111 I think and have only ever fished with this rod.
Lovely to hear of another Craftversa, serial numbers sadly don’t refer to individual models, one of mine is 95911, the other has no number or ‘Craftversa’ part of the transfer, I believe it to be one of the pre production rods as used by Reg Rhygini, possibly that actually rod.

I think with yours we’re up to eleven now surviving, although one of mine is a couple of inches short, and another I know of has a broken tip.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Hi,
One more for the list - I sold mine a couple of years ago to TFF'er Lucky Strike if he still has it.

Regards,
Dok

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Dokterhoo wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:05 pm Hi,
One more for the list - I sold mine a couple of years ago to TFF'er Lucky Strike if he still has it.

Regards,
Dok
I have seen this rod and was honoured to have a quick waggle when i purchased my swimversa from lucky strike.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”