Wood & brass combination reel warping

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Duckett
Tench

Wood & brass combination reel warping

Post by Duckett »

I have a lovely Sheffield style wood and brass true ‘pin that keeps warping very slightly. I happened to mention this to Helen, who is a musician, and she suggested it was drying out and that I should get one of the tiny humidifiers that are designed to go inside the case of wooden instruments like guitars and ukuleles. They a basically a small plastic case with a piece of moisture retaining material inside - you simply moisten it once a month.

Her suggestion sounded sensible to me so I put the reel in a box with a moist piece of cloth and, hey presto, two days later it was fine. A month later it was catchIng again. As putting a moist cloth inside the the reel case isn’t very practical, I’m going to invest in one of the humidifiers.

Does anyone else experience this and have any other solutions? The funny thing is, I’ve had no such warping problem with my all wood reels.

Phil :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Wood & brass combination reel warping

Post by Lea Dweller »

I don't have a solution Phil, but I have bought a number of all wood centrepins in the past that spun well when I bought them. Some time after I had had them they would bind and it happened at various times of the year. The only two reels that I kept are both Slater's one alloy backed the the other all wood and they never bind. I am confident that quality seasoned wood will not react to atmospheric changes, perhaps that is why Slater reels were so well regarded? :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lea Dweller wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:50 pm I don't have a solution Phil, but I have bought a number of all wood centrepins in the past that spun well when I bought them. Some time after I had had them they would bind and it happened at various times of the year. The only two reels that I kept are both Slater's one alloy backed the the other all wood and they never bind. I am confident that quality seasoned wood will not react to atmospheric changes, perhaps that is why Slater reels were so well regarded? :Hat:
Thanks Ted. My most recent is an all wood Slater, so that’s positive. I’m not going to give up on the wood and brass one yet as it has the shallowest spool I’ve ever seen!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Duckett wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:46 pm
Lea Dweller wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:50 pm I don't have a solution Phil, but I have bought a number of all wood centrepins in the past that spun well when I bought them. Some time after I had had them they would bind and it happened at various times of the year. The only two reels that I kept are both Slater's one alloy backed the the other all wood and they never bind. I am confident that quality seasoned wood will not react to atmospheric changes, perhaps that is why Slater reels were so well regarded? :Hat:
Thanks Ted. My most recent is an all wood Slater, so that’s positive. I’m not going to give up on the wood and brass one yet as it has the shallowest spool I’ve ever seen!

Phil
[/quote
Perhaps check it each time you would like to use it, then if it is in a 'non-binding' phase, use it! :Wink:
Confucius

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lea Dweller wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:40 pm
Duckett wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:46 pm

Phil
[/quote
Perhaps check it each time you would like to use it, then if it is in a 'non-binding' phase, use it! :Wink:
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I was being serious Phil! :surrender:
Confucius

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”