A Winters Day on the Wye.

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
Caractacus Potts
Roach

Re: A Winters Day on the Wye.

Post by Caractacus Potts »

I'd be surprised at that tbh. Weren't the Severn barbel only stocked in the late 50s ? Where else would the barbel have 'arrived' from ?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Caractacus Potts wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:13 am I'd be surprised at that tbh. Weren't the Severn barbel only stocked in the late 50s ? Where else would the barbel have 'arrived' from ?
It does cast a different light on things doesn’t it! Very sadly our former TFF Honorary President, May Lang, is no longer with us to share further light on the capture. For those that don’t know, May wasn’t just a wife who came along to sit in the sun and read a book! She was an avid and successful angler in her own right and often out fished her very successful husband Gerry Berth-Jones at the time. She later remarried and continued to fish throughout her life. To me this adds significant veracity to her account of that time, remarkable as it seems given what we know about barbel movements across the country and into the Severn and Wye systems.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Yes I now remember your post Tengisgol; perhaps the barbel have been in the river even longer than that, but just never been caught. The ‘explosion’ in Wye barbel numbers seems to have been during the last thirty years or so
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I think that a few fish were sneaked into the river here and there by anglers over a long period. History shows that fishermen have been seeding lakes and rivers all over the place and the advent of car ownership must have hastened this practice in the 60's. Not surprisingly, match sections, especially those run by Birmingham AA seemed to produce many of the early barbel catches. I think that the Lugg had a stocking in the 70's/early 80's? which would have led to them entering the Wye where they felt very much at home.

It was the barbel that brought me to Herefordshire but, I doubt I'll ever find the man responsible for it all to say thank you.

Having said all that, I do not wish to hijack an excellent thread but, I received this yesterday, it does not make for comfortable reading.

(My underlining)

Dear Citizen Science volunteer

Early this year the House of Commons Audit Committee submitted a report to Government on Water Quality. There were many excellent ideas suggested by the report under the chair of Rt. Hon. Phillip Dunne MP for Ludlow.

We now have the Government’s response and the link below will take you to the full document.

https://committees.parliament.uk/public ... 6/default/
This report is not as far reaching in its possible actions as we would have liked to see. One of our main criticisms is the lack of urgency from Government.

A timeframe of 2035 to 2040 in our opinion is simply moving the problems into a distant future way beyond the accountability of today’s executive.

When science is telling us that parts of the Wye Catchment are only two years away from a eutrophication tipping point, we do not understand how more action sooner is not an essential part of any plan.

There also appears to be far too much reliance on persuasion and co-operation as an implement to change.

Whilst we recognise this is a preferred route and to be commended when effective, it is also one which the Environment Agency and Natural England conclude has not worked sufficiently quickly in similar circumstances of pollution.

We continue to call for much greater enforcement and action against polluters. Unfortunately, DEFRA appears to be influenced by the considerable lobbyist acting for land owners who today are given the benefit of the doubt.

We still believe the “Elephant in the Room” is not being addressed; namely the continuing proliferation of intensive poultry units, now on industrial scale, and the spreading of phosphate heavy chicken manure on already phosphate saturated land.

We would have liked to have seen the Government supporting immediate action to stop these two points. A cessation of both would have an immediate and tangible impact on phosphate pollution.

The Government does support some of the recommendations and these can be seen in the full report but they are ducking many of the big decisions.

They are placing considerably more pressure on the Environment Agency to provide additional extensive work and regulatory intervention but there is no mention of the considerable increased funding needed to achieve the desired outcome.

The Government has a golden opportunity to provide a clear and enforceable direction for Catchment wide management which the Wye desperately needs throughout its length.

One person with the powers and accountability is needed so that their performance can be reviewed and judged.

Until this happens all cross-border regulators, councils and governments will continue to blame one another and avoid responsibility.

The report appears to support the concept but with no implementation plan proposed.

The most pleasing aspect of the report is at the very end (points 51 & 52) where Citizen Science is recognised and extolled and it appears accepted by all as an integral part of monitoring and improving the environment within catchments.

Your work is valued and is influencing action.

In summation: Within this Government response words come easy but action is so much harder to deliver. If you have a spare moment, please read the report and form your own opinions.

Best regards
Barbara

Barbara Bromhead-Wragg
Volunteer Manager, Herefordshire CPRE

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thd situation is grim indeed Dave :Cursing:

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

This makes me even more non confident.Why oh way can they they not act immediately?
Re Barbel,the Severn received its first stock of Kennet fish in 1956.So catching a Wye Barbel in 1954 seems highly unlikely unless they grew feet or went on a car journey! Something else we will never know the answer to.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Just made a donation to the Wye and Usk Foundation who have just launched a new project to regenerate the Wye. We gotta keep trying…..
John Harding

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Troydog wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:43 pm Just made a donation to the Wye and Usk Foundation who have just launched a new project to regenerate the Wye. We gotta keep trying…..
Good man Tim, I'd love the no-politics rule to be repealed today as I have a lot to get off my chest :fingertap:

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Yes, I understand, but that’s why I’m best in the garage turning casters….
John Harding

Return to “River Wye”