A stern test for the Findale.

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Catfish.017
Eel

A stern test for the Findale.

Post by Catfish.017 »

I went back to the 'Crucian' pond this afternoon. It showed a different side this time, no matter what I tried I hooked Bream and Carp! Five of those 'Torpedos' I hooked, only one made the net, a lean Common around seven pounds. The thin 5lb line held on each fish, the light hook snapped on one and lost its hold on the others. More than anything I couldn't believe the bend the aluminium rod took on, I really expected it to fold at any moment. It held however and with each battle I became more confident in its abilities.
Last edited by Catfish.017 on Tue May 24, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricW
Perch

Re: A stern test for the Findale.

Post by EricW »

Presumably this must be an alloy, I wonder what it is? Crucians certainly have a habit of going awol don't they?
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

EricW wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:05 pm Presumably this must be an alloy, I wonder what it is? Crucians certainly have a habit of going awol don't they?
One of the aircraft alloys? Duralumin or suchlike.curiously a really nice Crucian jumped right over my float in that infuriating manner they have!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The aluminium rod blanks were made by local firm British Aluminium in Studley Road. They had approached Accles & Pollock ( of steel Taperflash 'fame' ) but didn't get any interest.

There were only a few prototypes finished before the bank called in their loan and both owners had to sell their houses to pay it off! This was in 1967, I think.

All this was due to get covered in a book by Ray McDonald, but I don't know if it'll ever get published in my lifetime.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

I think Milwards used The stepped tapered Aluimnium match rods called the Aero Match ,in about 1963.Reelmaker.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Nobby wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:55 pm The aluminium rod blanks were made by local firm British Aluminium in Studley Road. They had approached Accles & Pollock ( of steel Taperflash 'fame' ) but didn't get any interest.

There were only a few prototypes finished before the bank called in their loan and both owners had to sell their houses to pay it off! This was in 1967, I think.

All this was due to get covered in a book by Ray McDonald, but I don't know if it'll ever get published in my lifetime.
Just a small point as I have an Apollo Taperflash and using a magnet - the rod appears to be part steel tubing and part non ferrous metal tubing.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”