Bream Spawning nodules

This forum is for discussing bream.
Homer Simpson
Grayling

Bream Spawning nodules

Post by Homer Simpson »

This evening I caught a decent sized fish, it was as rough as sandpaper, I had to hold it upright in the water for a good five minutes whilst it recovered.
Only the second time I have caught a bream that wasn't a proper snotty.

Does anyone know the actual biological reason for this change during spawning?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Bream Spawning nodules

Post by Dave Burr »

Spawning can be a boisterous activity for cyprinids and bream especially are prone to infection infection and damage if the slime is rubbed off. Also, male fish often get quite physical with the ladies as they attempt to stimulate egg laying (it's okay, it's past 9pm), I would guess that the rough tubercles are for these reasons.

Plus you can scrap the bud off your boots with them :Scared: :Chuckle:

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:29 pm Spawning can be a boisterous activity for cyprinids and bream especially are prone to infection infection and damage if the slime is rubbed off. Also, male fish often get quite physical with the ladies as they attempt to stimulate egg laying (it's okay, it's past 9pm), I would guess that the rough tubercles are for these reasons.

The scabby old bream hey. Fish are amazing aren't they? Daves right spawning can be a boisterous activity (I'm sure we'll all agree). I've never seen it actually remove significant volumes of mucus though. So to tubercles - many fish, cyprinids included, undergo physicalogical changes either preparing for spawning or for the act itself. The full reasons for these little bumps is not fully understood but likely reasons are species recognition (also sex recognition) fighting and defense of spawning territory or nests, and i
some case the stimulation of gravid females.
Note: rubbing you significant other with 80 grit won't have the same impact, please don't ask.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Hovis wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:44 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:29 pm Spawning can be a boisterous activity for cyprinids and bream especially are prone to infection infection and damage if the slime is rubbed off. Also, male fish often get quite physical with the ladies as they attempt to stimulate egg laying (it's okay, it's past 9pm), I would guess that the rough tubercles are for these reasons.

The scabby old bream hey. Fish are amazing aren't they? Daves right spawning can be a boisterous activity (I'm sure we'll all agree). I've never seen it actually remove significant volumes of mucus though. So to tubercles - many fish, cyprinids included, undergo physicalogical changes either preparing for spawning or for the act itself. The full reasons for these little bumps is not fully understood but likely reasons are species recognition (also sex recognition) fighting and defense of spawning territory or nests, and i
some case the stimulation of gravid females.
Note: rubbing you significant other with 80 grit won't have the same impact, please don't ask.
I can't fall out with your suggestions Hovis. I doubt that many scientific studies have ever been carried out on the spawning habits of the humble bream.

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”