Allcocks Anglers Guides 1940's

This forum is for discussing Allcocks Anglers Guides from the 1940's.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Allcocks Anglers Guides 1940's

Post by Nobby »

Yes, it's true that their are no Allcocks Guides between the 1939-40 one and the 1949-50 one. There are a number of catalogues of exports, and price lists however, but only from 1947 onwards.
There appears to be no wartime publications whatsoever.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Lovatt wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:38 pm Hello everyone, I have an update for you all. If you have not already seen one, I have the 1939 - 1940 Allcocks Anglers guide it has a dark green cover with a green stag set inside a lighter green circle emblem on the front, a gift from a friend. In rather tatty but very readable condition I'll put a picture up in a couple of days.
~~~
Rather interesting it is too, I have a question to ask if anyone might know what year did Allcocks change the handles on their Nimrod spinning rods as I recently brought a 8' 6" Nimrod which I am guessing is from the 1930s - 1940s it has the Light Caster type handle and not an all cork handle like you would find on a 1955 Hughes Parry fitted with a sliding winch fitting. Look forward to a message I'll get that pick up shortly and if you have any questions please feel to ask and I'll help as much as I can.

Regards Trevor
Does it have any pages relating to the Allcocks Bell sea centrepin reel. I'd love to see photos of any pages.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Sorry for the late reply, I'll have a look be righr back...
Last edited by Lovatt on Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

It certainly does if you have not already had a picture I will put one up as soon as I get my printer cable back from my Uncle.

The reel is known as an Alcock Bell and is made expressly to the suggestions of Mr A F Bell. The well known tope angler and late honory secretary of the British Sea Anglers Society. Although designed for tope this reel is strongly made and is suitable for all salt or fresh water fish upto 300lbs in weight, including congor halibut ling blue and por-beagle sharks, tarpon, barracuda, albacore, yellow tail, mahseer, tiger fish, nile perch etc.

Made of an alloy with strong anti corrosive properties, it has a thoroughly reliable optional rachet check, ball bearings, a line guard and a large and powerul lever brake. The line capacity is ample for all purposes, the 6" reel taking 370 yds of Neptune line at 50lbs bs and the 5" 200yds size 5"70/ 6"78/ each.

Hope this helps you and anyone else who has one of these big game reels, an artistic drawing picture of the reel and information from the guide is bellow.

Trevor
Last edited by Lovatt on Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Here is the information available in the 1940 Allcocks anglers guide, I think you will all agree it is a nice looking reel.
Allcocks Bell fishing reel.png

Trevor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Allcocks Anglers Guides 1940's.”