Did I just just get lucky?

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Did I just just get lucky?

Post by Harry H »

I thought I'd have a go at making a bent wood landing net, the plan was to try lamination rather than going to the trouble of making a steamer. I'd already got a spreader which I'd purchased years ago but never got around to it and a few weeks ago I found a strip of oak in B&Q of all places that was cheap enough so if things didn't work out I hadn't lost to much. Now B&Q timber doesn't have the best reputation for being well seasoned but in this case it may have been a god send as it was very flexible so decided to cut it to size 20mm X 8mm and give it a go.
So did I just get lucky?
Pre assembled to give the woodwork a clean up.Image
A question for those who know about these things, what do you use to treat the timber with? :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

EricW
Perch

Re: Did I just just get lucky?

Post by EricW »

That's looking good Richard. Do you still have to add layers to that? Presumably if you do they are going to have to be progressively tighter curves. I shall watch this with interest. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

EricW wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:18 pm That's looking good Richard. Do you still have to add layers to that? Presumably if you do they are going to have to be progressively tighter curves. I shall watch this with interest. :Hat:
Hi Eric I'm going to try it as is, I have a 24" net made by someone else that is 9mm thick so hopefully 8mm for a 18"net should be OK. :Beg: time will tell. It was my original intention to build it up in 3mm layers. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I went down the same route as you. I used 2 layers as the net relatively small 15"x19" designed for roach etc. The frame is approximately 25mm deep by 10mm thick.

I did have some issues as I decided on a blunt top frame which made the curves tight on the top corners. I split at least one piece. In hindsight a round frame, like you have done may have been better.

However, It has been in use now for 5 years and coping well. In fact, I've just stripped the net off to re-varnish it and reinstall the net. I'm hoping that it and my heat bent cane one will see me out. I just used the same varnish as I use on my cane rods, depending on what I can get hold of it is usually Rustins or Blackfriers.

Yours is looking good, keep us updated on progress

Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Very nice Harry, I have made a “few” steamed ash nets , and used Danish Oil to finish them, the more you use it over time, the deeper and more lustrous the finish, it also repels water very nicely too.
I have also made several cold formed laminated bamboo nets that I finished with simple yacht varnish . It gives a good tough flexible finish ,I have a laminated bamboo net that I made about 4 or 5 years ago and gets used very regularly . So far it has not shown any signs of wear to the spar finish at all so I am quietly confident of its qualities .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”