Wotton Underwood Lake

This forum belongs to Wotton Underwood Lake.
DanielGover
Stickleback

Re: Wotton Underwood Lake

Post by DanielGover »

Sadly the otters seem to have done much damage on there. I felt quite privileged to have a ticket for a season however, just being there felt like a treat. Its a lake so stunning, that it felt wrong to even be there fishing, almost as if you were cluttering the place up. Wonderful venue.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I thought I would let anyone who knows these lakes but is not a member know that , very sadly, John Mason who ran the fishing syndicate there for about the past 40 years (or more?) passed away suddenly a couple of weeks ago. Long term member and bailiff John Roberts will be taking over management of the syndicate.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Julian wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:11 pm I thought I would let anyone who knows these lakes but is not a member know that , very sadly, John Mason who ran the fishing syndicate there for about the past 40 years (or more?) passed away suddenly a couple of weeks ago. Long term member and bailiff John Roberts will be taking over management of the syndicate.
That was very sad news, I did hear thot.
I was in contact with John through The Fred J Taylor Appreciation Society for a few years now.
I never met him personally but exchanged pleasantries on out door cooking, fishing and Fred J.
He will be sadly missed.

Mark
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Sorry to hear the passing of John, when I left Stoke Mandeville hospital, John invited me to come and fish Wotton Underwood Lake where we had a night session fishing from the punt, around midnight I said to John “Are there were any crucian carp in the water”?, He said “Yes, but they are never caught”. An hour or so later my float disappeared from the torch beam. I then said “I reckon I have a crucian” it weighed 2 lb 12 ounces. It was a session that I will always remember as I had been away from angling for some time with Multiple Sclerosis. RIP John.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

That sounds like it was meant to be Martin. Sorry to hear the passing of another stalwart.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Martin James wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:15 pm Sorry to hear the passing of John, when I left Stoke Mandeville hospital, John invited me to come and fish Wotton Underwood Lake where we had a night session fishing from the punt, around midnight I said to John “Are there were any crucian carp in the water”?, He said “Yes, but they are never caught”. An hour or so later my float disappeared from the torch beam. I then said “I reckon I have a crucian” it weighed 2 lb 12 ounces. It was a session that I will always remember as I had been away from angling for some time with Multiple Sclerosis. RIP John.

Superb Crucian. What year was this Martin?

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Julian late 1970's to the best of my memory.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Didn't Peter Thomas get a good Crucian there back in the day fishing with Dick Walker and the Taylor Brothers?
Yep just checked it out. The account is in No Need to Lie, a three pounder.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Martin James wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:53 pm Julian late 1970's to the best of my memory.
Thanks Martin

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Catfish.017 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:43 pm Didn't Peter Thomas get a good Crucian there back in the day fishing with Dick Walker and the Taylor Brothers?
Yep just checked it out. The account is in No Need to Lie, a three pounder.
Like most ponds, pools, lakes and pits in this area of the country, they all held a good head of Crucians in the 1960’s, which gradually diminished in the 1970’s, until by the 1980’s they became a rare sight. This could not all have been due to the stocking of common/ mirror carp in waters as many , like Wotton, held hardly any Common/Mirror carp until, after the demise of the crucians.

Return to “Wotton Underwood Lake”