Shipping cane rods

The Hardy Rods forum.
Doug Pollard
Stickleback

Shipping cane rods

Post by Doug Pollard »

I have several cane rods I should dispose of, and am wondering how best to ship rods whose sections measure anywhere from 3 to 6 ft. I live in Canada so most of them will go to the US or UK. Any comments on shippers?

Doug

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Re: Shipping cane rods

Post by TraditionalAngling »

UPS I have used, shipping all over the world
Steve Middleton
traditional angling products

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I tried to buy a rod from Canada last year, UPS quoted £400 !

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Ups were always the best in my opinion but over the last year or two they have reduced size limits and increased prices so sending a rod tube over 1000mm long is no longer viable..
The best at the moment are Parcelforce 48 and some decent discounts can be had by signing up to the web site.

Wal.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Over and above choice of international courier I think it's the actual packaging of any rod/s that is vital. Wrap everything individually in bubble wrap so that the whole package fits snuggly in a strong pvc drain or soil pipe - these are the best I've found, not cheap but they are reusable by the recipient. This I then enclose in a cardboard triangular or square section outer layer to stop the final package from wanting to roll around in transit. The whole lot is then taped up with "glass with care" printed tape, very clearly labelled in multiple places, with translations into whichever languages may be required. I've sent section lengths of over 8ft safely this way to destinations across the world.

Domestically I'm happy to use the heavy cardboard tubes that carpets come rolled on.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”