Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: New Member

Post by Olly »

Well Doug - I found this precis about you - I am sure others would find it very interesting!

~~~~Doug Pollard tells the story of a remarkable 70-year-old company whose name is synonymous with the West Coast fishery from California to Alaska. This book traces the evolution of sport fishing for salmon in the legendary waters off Vancouver Island. Pollard's narrative shows how the fortunes of the company, Canada's most successful tackle maker, are tied to the fortunes of the fishery.
Boris C. Peetz, a Russian-born silversmith, arrived in Victoria, BC, in 1911 and built his first reels a decade later. By 1935 the BC Peetz Manufacturing Company had fishing reels and swivels as its main line of business. The company diversified into tackle and whole-cane rods, but it was its handmade wood and brass Peetz fishing reels that became North American classics. The tough, uncomplicated design of the Peetz reel has enabled it to stand the test of time.
Doug Pollard, a respected environmentalist, avid fisherman and keen historian, portrays the Peetz reel in musical terms as he describes the song that comes with the strike of a fish. He writes convincingly of the pleasures to be found in restoring classic reels and reminds us that simple tackle can balance the enjoyment of fishing and conservation. Written in the spirit of Roderick Haig-Brown and carefully researched, Peetz, A Reel for All Time was written for all anglers, history buffs, collectors and conservationists.~~~~~~

Wally Roy
Roach

Re: New Member

Post by Wally Roy »

Welcome Doug, I remember Aber well used to fish the Ystwyth and Rheidol regularly.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”