Starback restoration advice sought

The Other Reels forum.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Starback restoration advice sought

Post by Vole »

As mentioned in LuckyLuca's "Starbacks" thread, I recently acquired a Smith and Wall-style 4 1/2" starback. There's a lot to love about this reel, but I don't really think we're going to bond, so I'll probably clean it up and sell it on, grateful for the lessons it's already taught me.

I'm therefore asking around for advice on how -and how much - to clean up the brasswork, and indeed the woodwork.

My instinct is to give the wood a gentle wash and dry, then just oil it - (Danish? Teak? Linseed?), leaving the old varnish and deeply ingrained crud/patina in place, and to give the brasswork a gentle ketchupping, but recent sales suggest that "going for gleam" might be more saleable at this end of the market.
Here she is:

That centre screw has a reverse thread, so you can't unscrew it accidentally while backing-off the drag wing-nut. Also, the outer threaded end of the spindle has a flat filed into it , to retain the "D"-hole in the metal washer of the drag system. Neat.

Looking inside, there's the pin-and-slot system that all the vendors proudly proclaim as the hallmark of Smith and Wall (is it?).

On the back, to stop the spindle ever working loose, they've drilled, tapped and put a screw in so it cannot turn!

The bit that confused me was those tapered handles; they made me think it was meant as a freshwater reel, but the sheer bulk of it makes me think it must have been a sea reel - or for HUGE salmon and pike!

So, wossfink, gentlemen?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Starback restoration advice sought

Post by LuckyLuca »

Whilst I wouldn't presume to give restoration advice, my opinion would be to oil the wood, leaving the patina and character. The brass I would want free of corrosion. Wether this can be achieved without taking it back to bare brass I dont know.
That's a lovely piece of engineering though! All those little extra touches smack of quality.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Starback restoration advice sought

Post by Loop Erimder »

Can I have it as it is for a tenner :wink:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Other Reels”