Bamboo float tubes....

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Bamboo float tubes....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I have got three 3ft lengths of bamboo, the narrowest is 2.25 inch, the widest 3 inch. By the looks of them there should be enough for 9 tubes. Having never made a float tube any tips would be much appreciated....
IMG_20220215_193017_resize_72.jpg
Thanks
BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: Bamboo float tubes....

Post by Mr B »

I have just made one and it is quite narrow compared to your Bamboo. ( probably only hold about 4/5 floats)
Your Bamboo looks great! ... depending how many floats you want to take with you.
I am new to float tubes but your stock looks good.
Very plush and organised though.... and the book!
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

You have a PM Paul.

David.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

And my very humble attempt...
I wanted something that would hold a few floats in my bag with out them getting crushed amongst my reels and lunch.
The extras just in the for scale.
Its amazing what we do rather than watch telly!

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Your float tube has something of the cudgel about it, it could come in handy if visited by some ner do well whilst dangling.
A duel purpose float tube, now that's special....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:19 pm Your float tube has something of the cudgel about it, it could come in handy if visited by some ner do well whilst dangling.
A duel purpose float tube, now that's special....

Thanks
BB
Good idea! I will have to put a 8oz Lead weight in it!

Mr B
Ps I have a wine cork in the top to stop( not in the photo) the floats falling out.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Useful and so practical. Have that artisan look to them ,dont add any decoration to at least one :Thumb: , just take to the waterside and use! Tony

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:38 pm I have got three 3ft lengths of bamboo, the narrowest is 2.25 inch, the widest 3 inch. By the looks of them there should be enough for 9 tubes. Having never made a float tube any tips would be much appreciated....

IMG_20220215_193017_resize_72.jpg

Thanks
BB
Have you made any progress BB?

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

As a bit of a coincidence my wife came home with this today (as you do :Confused: )
All 12' of it!
For comparison, the alloy butt cap and piece of Spanish reed are all that remains of a 12' float rod that failed in rather spectacular fashion, also destined to end up as a float tube.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Silfield wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:18 pm As a bit of a coincidence my wife came home with this today (as you do :Confused: )
All 12' of it!
For comparison, the alloy butt cap and piece of Spanish reed are all that remains of a 12' float rod that failed in rather spectacular fashion, also destined to end up as a float tube.
Pheeew! What about that.. a real flotilla of float tubes you have there!!!!
Mr B

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”