The Old Bamboo MK 1

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: The Old Bamboo MK 1

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Duckett wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:14 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:09 pm Firecracker is the Chinese name for exploding bamboo.

Used during celebrations, short sections with dams at each end were thrown into a fire to make them crack open giving off a loud bang. Long before the invention of blackpowder of course.

Wal.
That’s brilliant Wal, I love it! Though I do wonder about flying red hot bamboo needles!

Phil
Yes Phil, those are the special Ninja versions. :Hahaha:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:46 pm
Duckett wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:14 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:09 pm Firecracker is the Chinese name for exploding bamboo.

Used during celebrations, short sections with dams at each end were thrown into a fire to make them crack open giving off a loud bang. Long before the invention of blackpowder of course.

Wal.
That’s brilliant Wal, I love it! Though I do wonder about flying red hot bamboo needles!

Phil
Yes Phil, those are the special Ninja versions. :Hahaha:
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I am in a bit of a dilemma.... I have an old 4ft landing net handle with a nice fitting on the end...
I would say its a very old handle.
But I need a a screw end for my new longer handle...
Should I take the old one off and use that or work out way?
Its a standard gas fitting thread but looking through the plumbing parts I couldn't see anything suitable..
Looking through the post on TFF most of the threaded ends are custom made?
I didn't particularly want to butcher the old handle just for the fitting.
When I was at school it would have been a nice mettle work project, I made one for a screen Gaff head... should have kept it!
Mr B
Ps the matchbox is for scale
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Mr B, the thread used for landing nets, gaffs etc was 3/8" BSF and is still used today though some of the cheap nets and poles coming from China have an 8mm thread.

Wal.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:43 pm Mr B, the thread used for landing nets, gaffs etc was 3/8" BSF and is still used today though some of the cheap nets and poles coming from China have an 8mm thread.

Wal.
Thanks Wal,
I did know the thread size but the gas pipe size, not sure were I got that one from!
Glad you mentioned the cheep poles from China..
I want to stick to 3/8" BSF
Thanks again
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Not quite sure what you are after,but your post inspired me to make myself a bamboo landing net handle/ wading stick.
I used a brass threaded insert from an old bank stick, and a 3” long ferrule made from some 22mm copper pipe. The insert is epoxied into the end hopefully gluing it to both the bamboo and the ferrule. Have used it once and it seems firm enough.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Homer Simpson wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:37 am Not quite sure what you are after,but your post inspired me to make myself a bamboo landing net handle/ wading stick.
I used a brass threaded insert from an old bank stick, and a 3” long ferrule made from some 22mm copper pipe. The insert is epoxied into the end hopefully gluing it to both the bamboo and the ferrule. Have used it once and it seems firm enough.
That sounds a plan...
I tend to remember seeing on TFF?
I'll have a look now..
Thank you
Mr B

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”