Centre pin reel for carp stalking

This forum is for discussing carp.
OldAngler
Perch

Centre pin reel for carp stalking

Post by OldAngler »

I have just finished a Carp Stalking rod for a friend / customer, 10 feet long, all split cane, test curve 1¾ pounds.

He has asked me to recommend a suitable centre pin reel to go with this rod. As I am not a Carp angler and know very little about Carp Stalking I am stumped.

Can anyone help with a suggestion?

Many thanks, Old Angler

Russell Brown
Rudd

Re: Centre pin reel for carp stalking

Post by Russell Brown »

I would recommend a 'Leeds' centre pin.Satin black in colour,5 1/2" diameter for fast line pick up and a silent friction check.A big,sturdy reel with ball bearings made by Lewtham Products UK.A good one spins forever...

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I’d opt for a true pin, Alcock's Aerial T series or C815 4 - 4 1/2” Speedia wide drum etc.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I haven't had the pleasure of using a Leeds reel or indead a T series Allcocks but do use a C815 which has been more than capable so far. I don't specifically fish for carp but on the odd occasion that I do fancy a bit of margin/surface fishing it has worked well, although nothing larger than 15lb has graced the net.
The Mordex Merlin is also worth a look although not as refined as the Allcocks.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I use a 4" Allcocks Aerial Popular with ratchet and brake! This is used on a 9ft 3in Hardy LRH 2 and has landed fish to 20lb. Most being hooked under the rod tip up to 2ft from the bank.

I did start with a Chapman 550 but found it totally lacking when hit and hold was required so swapped to the above.

I have several 'Leeds' type pins - mostly used for trotting.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Do like my Leeds, but keep it for trotting...
...but for margin carp it's the Harlow. It's a gnat's over 4" across the pins and has a 1¼" wide drum, I can reach the check with one finger and it's got big holes, line for the retrieval of. The wide drum allows some braid backing 'just in case' with mono over the top without any bedding in issues. Plus, it will balance on the unhooking mat and act as its own rear rod-rest. The wonderful extended reel foot is a Watermole+ special. :Hat:

...although it was immediately Christened a "tuna-reel" by another angler. :Hahaha:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

It's an oft asked question and one I love to reconsider regularly along with adjusting tackle desires necessarily :Sun: Get at least one of each I say, and include some G&Y :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

If you pump and wind, the reel is pretty much immaterial, it's just the spool width and depth that matters and that's personal choice. :Hat:

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I would suggest that the scream of the rachet at speed is most crucial. The sound of the first run out of the margins is why I do it!

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

The chap who Old Angler (Rod) was asking for is now the proud owner of an Allcocks Record Breaker
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”