Durham Wear

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Homer Simpson
Grayling

Durham Wear

Post by Homer Simpson »

Having a few days in Durham, not fishing just touristy stuff.
Had a nice walk along the riverside, but could see no sign of anyone fishing, nor signs says you could or could not fish.
What's in there?
I assume it's a spate river??

There were some workers, I assume EA removing some really big trees from the river in the town centre. Hooking them up from an inflatable and then hauling out using a crane.
I could have watched for hours but her majesty got a bit impatient :fingertap:

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Durham Wear

Post by Olly »

Were you near the Cathedral? The river flows around it almost encircling it. I have fished it many times in the past above the weir adjoining a bridge called South Bailey. near Counts Court. I caught roach, dace and chub. With salmon carrying fungus swimming about!

DCAC have the fishing rights on part of that - look at their website. Farther upstream, above Elvert Bridge, is a free section where I understand the record dace was caught. Another free section (or was) - can be found below Framwell Gate at The Sands. Snatching seatrout was common.

As it is "predominantly" a game river with excellent and very large seatrout so there is reduced amount of coarse fishing. Ferryhill and Dist. AC also have some parts of the river.

I had a 6lb12oz chub one winter in the snow! :cheers:

Return to “Other Rivers”