Help required. Game or coarse?

The Martin James Rods forum.
EricW
Perch

Help required. Game or coarse?

Post by EricW »

Among the several cheapo rods I have recently acquired for spares were two or three nice surprises that will be saved including this unidentified Martin James rod. Described as a float rod it owes me very little, but I have a hatred for breaking up history that could be saved. It is 11' 7" long two parts cane , with a greenheart (presumably?) tip. The ferrules fit nicely and show no signs of being refitted so I am sure that these are the original three sections, all are the same length.

However the fittings and layout confuse me. the rings that are left are all aged/broken full stand off (float rod?( except the tip, which appears to be more of a fly rod style composing two turns of wire with no liner. Has the liner broken away or is the ring a replacement, maybe the stand offs are non original?

The handle is shaped more like a fly rod handle but at 17" looks too long to me. The lower rod band is pinned 4-5" from the butt which seems too low for a float rod even of the old type. It appears to me to be made of cork sheet wrapped around a former rather than the usual shives. it is coming away in places but I may be able to glue it back in place.

The label is intact and has the maker's name but no model name which I understand to be not unusual for MJ.

Any help on identity or age, indeed anything relavent at all would be most welcome. Thank you. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Help required. Game or coarse?

Post by Olly »

Float rod - reels were put nearer the butt end a long time ago! A standard handle as well for many makers. Definitely float rings. Rod from 20's or early 30's perhaps?

I suspect Martin could be along any time soon!

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Thanks Olly, I may have to do something we that handle before I can use it though.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Definitely a float rod. Rod handles used to be much shorter than they are today.

(Olly - not our Martin James - he is mature, but not old!)
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

:Hat: Well I am old - - and he has nearly 20 years more than me! :Chuckle:
- - - - Hope I can get about as he does now - - then!

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”