Reel Repaint

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Caneforme
Perch

Reel Repaint

Post by Caneforme »

Does anyone on here or can anyone recommended anyone who can repaint reels?

I have a couple of Hardy Altex reels that I am looking to use on my AJ Davis rod and they could do with a new coat of paint.

John :)
This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

NiceRoach
Eel

Re: Reel Repaint

Post by NiceRoach »

With respect, if the reel is functioning as it should mechanically I would leave the paintwork as is. TFF'ers have discussed this in lots of reel threads and even when they are painted professionally or semi professionally then they lose something more, than gaining a new coat in my opinion.
niceroach

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Paint an Altex...?😱😱😱😱
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Well, they’re John's reels and, with respect, if he’s decided he’d like them to have a refresh that is his prerogative. I can understand why he’d like them to look polished for his new rod (which may not be everyone’s cup of tea admittedly).

Try Evert van de Plas is my suggestion. Link here (or message him via this forum):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/700592006690676/
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Tengisgol wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:56 pm Well, they’re John's reels and, with respect, if he’s decided he’d like them to have a refresh that is his prerogative. I can understand why he’d like them to look polished for his new rod (which may not be everyone’s cup of tea admittedly).

Try Evert van de Plas is my suggestion. Link here (or message him via this forum):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/700592006690676/
Excellent point Phil. Evert is a good suggestion as, in my opinion, the only re-painted reels and ‘pins I’ve ever seen that look decent have been done by Evert!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Caneforme wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:30 pm Does anyone on here or can anyone recommended anyone who can repaint reels?

I have a couple of Hardy Altex reels that I am looking to use on my AJ Davis rod and they could do with a new coat of paint.

I am in a similar predicament John, I have a Altex in a similar state but mine has been previously, roughly, painted in gloss British Racing Green :shocked:
Do I strip and repaint or do I leave as is?
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

As far as I’m aware (and I stand to be corrected) you do not repaint an Altex’s finish unless keeping to the original ‘wartime finish’ - I believe Hardy used a chemical process. This has been alluded to from the source who worked their magic on the reel shown - but I cannot confirm 100%

Before and after.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Another recommendation for Evert. Excellent workmanship!

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Silfield wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:52 am
Caneforme wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:30 pm Does anyone on here or can anyone recommended anyone who can repaint reels?

I am in a similar predicament John, I have a Altex in a similar state but mine has been previously, roughly, painted in gloss British Racing Green :shocked:
That's different, and painting it gloss the wrong colour was an act of vandalism in my opinion

:tea:
niceroach

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

NiceRoach wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:58 pm
Silfield wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:52 am

That's different, and painting it gloss the wrong colour was an act of vandalism in my opinion

:tea:
I am with you on that one. God only knows what type of paint was used as it seems impervious to carefully applied paint stripper and I am resorting to picking bits off with a scalpel to see what the finish is like underneath. Not very promising so far.
As Peter has stated, the finish appears to be an etched rather than surface finish.
Fantastic looking reel Peter-not seen one with the claw before. :Thumb:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”