Kenny Kendall double grub screw

The Kenny Kendall Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Kenny Kendall double grub screw

Post by Duckett »

I’ve had this 4.5 inch Kenny Kendall since 2017. Drop of oil on the spindle and the pawl, it’s always worked like a dream. Also, it’s the only ‘pin I have which hasnt ever required any adjustment of the grub screw. So, on the principle “if it isn’t bust, don’t fix it”, I never got round to removing the grub screw.

Anyway, last time I used her I began to hear a slight scratching, so put her to one side to give a good clean.

To my surprise, after removing the grub screw, I held her up to the light and saw another grub screw! One on top of the other. I’d include a photo but each is only 1/8th of an inch and my camera simply won’t focus clearly on them.

After removal and cleaning I tightened the bottom one to the correct amount and then tightened the top one until it just rested on the bottom one.

Two questions:

1) has anyone else seen this on a Kenny Kendall (I’ve failed to find any reference to it);
2) is the double grub screw the reason it’s never needed adjustment? If it is, it works so well, I’m amazed other makers didn’t copy it!

Thanks,

Phil :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Silfield
Brown Trout

Re: Kenny Kendall double grub screw

Post by Silfield »

Nice reel :Hat:
Double grub screws is/was a method used for locking the position of the 1st grub screw so that it wouldn't migrate. It can be a slight pain to get the correct adjustment spot on as the act of tightening the second screw onto the first usually makes the first one move a little. A little jiggery-pokery will get the correct adjustment, eventually. A tiny amount of loctite threadlock or a small piece of ptfe tape/cotton thread on the first grub might help to keep it from moving.
Good luck!
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Duckett
Tench

Re: Kenny Kendall double grub screw

Post by Duckett »

Silfield wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:32 pm Nice reel :Hat:
Double grub screws is/was a method used for locking the position of the 1st grub screw so that it wouldn't migrate. It can be a slight pain to get the correct adjustment spot on as the act of tightening the second screw onto the first usually makes the first one move a little. A little jiggery-pokery will get the correct adjustment, eventually. A tiny amount of loctite threadlock or a small piece of ptfe tape/cotton thread on the first grub might help to keep it from moving.
Good luck!
Thanks Silfield! It did indeed take me 6 tries to achieve the tiny amount of “play” that the ‘pin had from when I received it. If it stays put after my next trip with it, I shan’t move it again until it needs a good clean again. If it moves, I must try threadlock.

I don’t mind regularly adjusting grub screws but one so tiny are just waiting to fly off and get lost!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Kenny Kendall Reels”