QUILL CONSTRUCTED FLOAT CAPS

The history & development of fishing tackle part of the forum.
Tonkin Wand
Grayling

QUILL CONSTRUCTED FLOAT CAPS

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Does any one know how or have experimented in making quill caps from bird feathers? What is the red wax like covering found on these period items.?Does the feathers require boiling to make suppel.deft fingers to wrap and tie up the cap one by one. Alcocks used to stock these in sliding lid tins marked "QUILL CAPS",Were they produced in house ,out workers or sourced else where ? I believe what occasionally comes onto the market now is of French origin.Any information welcomed or I go it alone to see what can be done ... Tony :Thumb:

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: QUILL CONSTRUCTED FLOAT CAPS

Post by Catfish.017 »

I used to make a few of these caps. I didn't really prepare the quill beforehand. One tip is to do the whips/wraps on a whole uncut quill then cut to size afterwards. This way it's far less fiddly and one can get four or five caps per quill.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I was lucky enough to get some of these when John Andrews discovered an old French batch still in their wrappings. On these, at least, the red stuff was cellulose pain the same as the float tips...exactly like nail varnish.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nobby wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:58 am I was lucky enough to get some of these when John Andrews discovered an old French batch still in their wrappings. On these, at least, the red stuff was cellulose pain the same as the float tips...exactly like nail varnish.

They look great Nobby, a real glimpse into the past, so tactile!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “The History & Development of Fishing Tackle”