Twang!!!!!

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Caneforme
Grayling

Twang!!!!!

Post by Caneforme »

I was happily fishing on my the canal on Wednesday. I was using my Hardy Altex No2 MKV.

I landed a fish, unhooked and released it then put my reels bail arm to the cast position. Has I did this I heard a little 'twang' and the bail arm went all loose and floppy :doh:
I had a second reel with me (I always do just in case) so I reset up and carried on fishing.

After work on Friday I (using the brilliant guides on this forum) removed the bail arm spring retaining cover and sure enough I had two springs, well 1 spring in 2 parts :oops: :Brickwall:

The reel had come with a spare spring which I have managed to fit. The bail arm seems a little loose but it works again. I have also managed to get another spare spring but they do seem hard to get hold of. Reminds me of my times owning classic cars.

John :)
This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Twang!!!!!

Post by Nobby »

The reels possibly came with a little bag of spares, a bail spring ( all fifty years old now!) the teardrop shaped cover and its little mounting grub screw and a line roller.

With the reel so popular once again perhaps we should ask Garry Mills of the Mill Tackle Co. to make up a few for future purchases?

Caneforme
Grayling

Post by Caneforme »

Now that is a very good idea Nobby :Thumb:

John :)
This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Nobby wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:27 pm The reels possibly came with a little bag of spares, a bail spring ( all fifty years old now!) the teardrop shaped cover and its little mounting grub screw and a line roller.

With the reel so popular once again perhaps we should ask Garry Mills of the Mill Tackle Co. to make up a few for future purchases?
I second that Nobby - what a great idea - do we need a petition? :Chuckle:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”