A QUESTION FOR A.C.

The Precision Rods forum.
John Harding
Rudd

A QUESTION FOR A.C.

Post by John Harding »

Mal,

This morning I was reading the April 1950 issue of Midland Angler Magazine and as always I browse the advertisements, and one caught my eye for Precision Rods. The advert' was for the "Rapid Strike" rod and in the description it explains that the tip section is of "Built Cane Taporite action. I have not come across the term "Taporite" before. As you are the C.E.O of Precision Rods I was wondering if you had any information on what is meant by this term.

Also Mal, has your planned campaign on the Ashby Cut started yet and have you had any luck ?

Regards,
John

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: A QUESTION FOR A.C.

Post by AshbyCut »

John, Sir ... How wonderful to see that advertisement, as it dates the rod to a 'precise' year !!! ... and just a year before I was born too !!!

I am fortunate enough to be the custodian of 3 versions of the "R. Sealey's Rapid Strike" ... 12ft. 13ft. and 14ft.

As far as I am aware, this is the only one of Precision Rods 'match' style rods which carried a compound taper tip, but Precision/Bernard Sealey & Co. being the enigma they have proved to be ... the 12ft. version has a whole cane spliced to split cane tip, whereas the 13ft. and 14ft. have compound taper all split cane tips.

Knowing it was referred to as a "Taporite Tip" adds to the information, but this name does not feature on any of the rods I have ... either 'match' style or 'bottom' ... so I can't confirm if the name refers to one or the other or both methods of construction !!! I suspect it will refer to the 'compound taper split cane' tips ... and maybe one day another advert will turn up offering confirmation ... or not !!! :Hair out:

The other 'match' type rods I have from Bernard Sealey & Co. came with either a simple taper split cane tip (like the "R. Sealey’s Match-Winner JFT." 11ft. 3in.), a later fibre glass tip (like the “R. Sealey’s Tudor Rose” 10ft 6in.), or a Spanish Reed or whole cane spliced to spit cane tip (Like the "R. Sealey's Brumas" 13ft 3in. and the "R. Sealey’s Tudor Lightweight.” 10ft. 6in.).

Other Precision Rods 'bottom rods' I have which also used a compound split cane tip include the "R. Sealey's Precise" (12ft.), the famous "R. Sealey's Festival" (11ft.), and the extremely rare barbel rod "R. Sealey's Festival Avon" (a very powerful 'stepped up' 11ft version of the Festival).

Just to REALLY complicate matters, I have versions of "The Festival" (they all have a whole cane butt) which are simple split cane throughout ... a split cane compound taper centre section but a simple taper split cane tip ... and split cane compound taper centre section, and split cane compound taper tip. All part (I believe) of the company's dedication to providing custom orders to individual customer's requirements.

The "Festival Avon" is so rare I have never yet seen an original one 'in the flesh'... but I am fortunate enough to be custodian of one of Andrew Davis' wonderful replicas of this iconic rod !!! (Details on Andrew's site here ... https://www.ajdsplitcanerods.com/ )

I'm sorry I can't help more, but it's all part of the fascination of delving into the rods made by this family over some 40 years ... and I thank you for providing just a little more information to feed my obsession !!! :Hat:

This photo shows the 13ft. and 12ft. versions of the "R. Sealey's Rapid Strike."

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

John Harding
Rudd

Re: A QUESTION FOR A.C.

Post by John Harding »

Thanks Mal, I thought the advert would be of interest to you, if I come across any more that I think will help you I will post them on here.

All the best,
John

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”