The Olympic Reel by Seiko

The Other Reels forum.
Banksy
Brown Trout

Re: The Olympic Reel by Seiko

Post by Banksy »

One day, all reels will be made this way. :whistle:

I am disappointed to learn that this reel of yours is not made by the watch company!

I have an oldish sea fishing multiplier which carries the name Daiwa Seiko.
I have been told that I have misread the name Seiko, that it must be 'Seido', with whom Daiwa had some sort of relationship.
But it is definitely 'Seiko' .
Probably then the same Seiko which had a hand in Peninelad's interesting looking reel?

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

From what I can find there were many different japanese companies with Seiko in the name. Seiko seems to be a Japanese word variously meaning high quality, exquisite, glory, success and suchlike (all good). Daiwa and Olympic Fishing Tackle Company were definitely different manufacturers so I would not assume there is a connection between Daiwa Seiko and Ueno Seiko Olympic. The thing that confirms the thread subject Ueno Seiko Olympic as the same as Olympic Tackle Co is that they both bear the Olympic trademark logo of the flying fish over 5x olympic rings, a great logo I think. Into the 1970s they ditched that logo, I suspect on objections from the Olympic movement who own the Olympic rings trademark but can't confirm that.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

I just got this... a 100mm reel with knobs in front but no handle for the multiplier on the backplate. But.... my handle from my 80mm reel will fit both...

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

If anyone wants one of these I will bring it to Ravenfield on Sunday and the first person to give me £10 can have it. I bought it for pike fishing but now tend to use a Young's Seldex.PM me if you want it.
Mark Davies

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Penninelad wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:17 pm If anyone wants one of these I will bring it to Ravenfield on Sunday and the first person to give me £10 can have it. I bought it for pike fishing but now tend to use a Young's Seldex.PM me if you want it.
What size is it? Any pix? Multiplier or normal or both?

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Just like the one illustrated. Mine also does not have a handle for the multiplying action.
Mark Davies

Return to “Other Reels”